Skunk eviction, how to

Kathy_sw_va_mtsJuly 29, 2002

If a skunk moved in under an open porch at your house what would you do. I read all the information I could find but the only thing I could find was not to feed your pet skunk chocolate. Think if a few bars were tossed under they might eat it and go to the great skunk place in the sky?

Thanks for any and all help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jasper_austin

I'd call animal control.

Bookmark   July 29, 2002 at 10:33PM
backyardbill

Try putting a radio under there with it and turned up loud. I had a skunk move into my garage an nothing worked until I turned on the heavy metal music. It only took a day or so of that and it was gone. Lot less smelly than a dead animal under your porch.
Bill

Bookmark   July 30, 2002 at 8:26AM
Diana_in_CT

We had a pest service set up a cage trap. He removed the critter and then they terminate it. Whatever way you do it, be sure to add lattice or chicken wire around the underside of the porch after, burying the bottom a few inches into the soil. Otherwise, he or others will come back. They love decks, porches, and crawlspaces!

Bookmark   July 30, 2002 at 10:06AM
charityoh

moth balls work--we put several boxes under our pourch and have never had another problem

Bookmark   August 7, 2002 at 8:59AM
melz

If you still have a skunk, try placing a flood light near the nest. Skunks don't like bright lights. I think the music would work also.
Melz

Bookmark   August 12, 2002 at 9:06AM
winna

Speaking of skunk eviction: how do you deal with a skunk accidently caught in a have a heart trap which was set for a destructive raccoon?????

Bookmark   July 9, 2004 at 11:30AM
joepyeweed

i have often wondered about those traps catching something that you didnt want - my friend uses those to catch her niehbors cats - ... i would call a local animal control officer...

Bookmark   September 21, 2004 at 10:03PM
Abby1930

My sister has been catching skunks in my hav a heart trap.There was a family of them living under her porch and the animal trapper person wanted too much $ (in her opinion)
They have trapped about 6 without a problem (not something I would want to do.) They cover the trap with a large piece of burlap, and keep it covered while they transport the skunks to their new home. Once there they open the door and stand back, and the skunks waddle out and make their way to the woods. Maybe my sister is just lucky (or we have unusually calm skunks here) but this trapping is working for her and they think they have relocated the entire family.

Abby

Bookmark   September 22, 2004 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
Bleach stains on bathtub
My son just moved into an apt., and the tub area was...
wishnwell
Walk me through overflowed tub, waterfall in kitchen disaster
Yup. My 15 yo ds woke up this am, decided to take a...
nini804
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™