Musty fishy shoes

SassyfrasJuly 12, 2002

My son got his Adidas Sport shoes (heavy, padded, some leather trim) wet on a visit to the beach.

After I rinsed them out and dried them and they had a fishy, musty odor.

I soaked them overnight in a pail of water, then ran them through a cycle in my washer (with normal detergent Cheer) and hung them out to dry in the sun.

They still have a fishy, musty odor.

(Time to note here that this is a young boy with NO foot odor problems!)

What is the next step?

I was thinking of soaking them in a Baking Soda mix, but don't know the proportions for a good soak mix, or if that would even work.

Any suggestions?

Sassy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ranchhand

They got a little mildew growing in the padded lining, and simple washing won't kill mildew. Throw them in the washer with 1/2 cup of bleach. That'll do it.

Bookmark   July 12, 2002 at 1:34PM
Sassyfras

Hi Ranchhand,

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought of mildew, but they weren't wet for more than an hour before I threw them in the wash...the smell was at first a real "fishy, ocean" smell, so I thought washing would rinse that out.

I'm concened with using bleach because the shoes are blue/gray, so I thought of soaking in Baking Soda as a solution (...for some reason that keeps popping into my head) but I'm not sure if that would work either...

The big problem is that I'm looking for a quick fix because he needs to wear the shoes!! LOL

Sassy

Bookmark   July 12, 2002 at 1:52PM
Karen_sl

Do the bleach, 1/2 cup will not discolor the shoes, I used to always wash my boys shoes....Hey we could only afford 1 o 2 prs..
Karen L

Bookmark   July 12, 2002 at 9:26PM
mystich

After float trips in the river I always soak sneakers in a bucket of bleach water then wash with regular detergent. Same thing really. The bleach kills the mildew spores that detergent won't.

Bookmark   July 25, 2002 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
How to deal with post-snow water damage?
Recent northeast snow storm has caused some water leakages...
jhome2015
Bad contractor web site
is there a site to post contractor complaints on??? Just...
jimrac
Frozen Sump Pump Hose: How to Prevent ?
Our sump pump recently failed due to the exit hose...
ozziepuppy
Walk me through overflowed tub, waterfall in kitchen disaster
Yup. My 15 yo ds woke up this am, decided to take a...
nini804
damp brickwork
Please can you help with damp brickwork at the front...
Fred.21
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™