flooding in ohio

mjseeJuly 24, 2003

I live in NC--own a condo (which mymom lives in) in NE Ohio. Strom drains couldn't handle heavy rain there Monday night--her apartment got flooded--though not as seriiously as the other buildings in the complex. We've contacted (and contracted with!) a company that cleans after flooding/fires...and I have insurance for this kind of thing. MY concern--what about the other unit owners that DON'T have insurance? In a communal building (these used tobe apartments) what happens when someof the owners clean-up repair, and others don't? I can't get the management to even talk to me--to be fair they have their hands full--but am stressing a bit. Anyone with experience in this sortof thing?

Melanie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mariend

I assume the problem has been solved by now and all is dry in your area. Did you have to pay for the others?
Marie

Bookmark   September 13, 2003 at 8:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mjsee

We will have to pay for the communal space...because the condo board voted not to invest in flood insurance. (!)

MY insurance covered all but $250.00 (my deductible) of the $6000.00 cost for repair of my unit. Our building wouldn't have flooded at all, if the drains the condo association is responsible for had been properly maintained. I hope the condo board has enough liability insurance--my guess is that the un-insured will sue for negligence. (The blocked/inadequate drains had been reported several times, over a period of weeks prior to the flood.)

Our maintenance fees will be increased by about $150.00/month for the forseeable future...but that just covers the public space. We were declared a disaster, and are eligible for FEMA loans--that should help people re-build. The whole thing has been an exhausting mess, and highlights how useful proper insurance is.

melanie

Bookmark   September 14, 2003 at 9:32AM
More Discussions
The strangest, persistent odour
Hello all. This is a serious mystery. About a month...
DanJM
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
Is the snow causing roof damage or any plumbing issue?
My first floor bathroom today have water leaking from...
jhome2015
Frozen Sump Pump Hose: How to Prevent ?
Our sump pump recently failed due to the exit hose...
ozziepuppy
Strange 'fishy' smell
Hello all - My parents are having an issue with a somewhat...
tarajen
Sponsored Products
Globe Electric Wall Mounted 500-Watt Outdoor White Halogen Security Wall Light
$29.99 | Home Depot
CTL8029LH 27W 27K Spot LED Dimmable Optica Track Fixture
Lightology
Malibu Path & Landscape Lights LED Solar 54-Lumen Wall Wash 8506-2613-01
$49.97 | Home Depot
Radiance Lazy Daisy Lamp - Cobalt Blue Lily Style Glass with Brown Hardware
$538.20 | Bellacor
Mr. Wrinkles Garden Statue - 344
$42.00 | Hayneedle