Embroidering on a onesie?

marti8aSeptember 24, 2004

What stabilizer do you use & any tips on hooping it? I've tried a couple but aren't thrilled with the result. I used a 4" hoop, a mesh cutaway & tried to put a water soluble pieceof stablilizer on top so the stitch would be even, but it just made a mess.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
redpenny

Cutaway is used inside any garment that will touch your skin. Such as tees and sweatshirts. It is soft on the skin, no yukky scratching is what I use. You can also use tulle on top were you will be embroidery.When I hooped my grandsons were they snap at I put one in side the hoop to hold it and then I rolled up the back and and hooped it to hold it in place. I also played around with the design on trial so I knew what area I was going to embroider and hoop the onesie.The tulle gives it a cute background and keeps the embroidery thread from sinking in the onesie.

Bookmark   September 24, 2004 at 4:20PM
joansews4u

I don't hoop knits. I use sticky stabilizer in the hoop. I turn the garment wrong side out & I can get it to the hoop better. I use Totally stable ironed to the knit before placing it on the sprayed or sticky stabilizer. I use the soluble on top too. To keep all this together, I use a basting stitch design that I downloaded free from Thread Artist. I put it in first & them bring up my design so it will sew first & secure everything before my design starts to sew.

Bookmark   September 24, 2004 at 11:51PM
marti8a

Is Totally stable a brand?

Bookmark   September 25, 2004 at 3:17PM
joansews4u

Totally Stable is a Sulky product.

Bookmark   September 25, 2004 at 7:04PM
redpenny

So Marti, how's the onesie turning out?

Bookmark   September 28, 2004 at 9:04PM
marti8a

I haven't tried another one since the first one. I did find some tulle in my cabinet, but it's blue. I thought I might baste some of the water soluble stuff on top so it won't shift around so much. I'll let you know tomorrow. I didn't know the stitches would sink into the knit like that.

Bookmark   September 29, 2004 at 11:45PM
marti8a

I made a couple with the Sulkey pinned on top & it worked great. I'll try to find the camera tomorrow.

Bookmark   October 6, 2004 at 11:03PM
joansews4u

Marti. One class I went to taped it on with Scotch Magic brand tape. Whatever holds it down!!

Bookmark   October 6, 2004 at 11:33PM
marti8a

Good idea Joan, that would be safer than pins. I tried hand basting it & that was a pain.

Bookmark   October 12, 2004 at 6:55PM
missymoo04

I have a question and maybe I am missing something here. When I embrioder on a onsie it turns out perfect. My problem is I am using my PE170 I think and where the hoop attaches to the machine it makes holes in all my fabric. Any advice? I really need help bad. Tired of wasting fabric and thread. Thanks alot

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 8:52AM
More Discussions
thread breakage
Help please. I have a Futura CE200. All was well. Have...
crittersareme
Viking embroidery machine software
I am interested in purchasing embroidery designing...
kiki31348
Babylock Palette v9
Help! After a windows 8 update today, my card reader/writer...
kyserparker
Singer Futura CE100
Hi, I am new to the forum and desperate to speak to...
Karen_Ann
Brother PE-SCAN Embroidery Scanner
Does anyone have a Brother PE-SCAN Embroidery Scanner...
redpenny
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™