Silk floss questions

BarbaragaSeptember 22, 2006

I've just purchased some very finely textured silk floss and have a few questions.

I'd like to store it on the cardboard or plastic bobbins (currently I store my floss in plastic bags), but the silk snags so easily, would the plastic or cardboard bobbins be less likely to snag it.

Has anyone used conditioner (I saw a box of it near the floss in a store) for keeping threads straight when sewing? Does it leave a residue on the thread or make the threads appear stuck together? Anyone have positive or negative experiences with it?

In a book, I read a suggestion to use a little bit of water to help keep the silk from tangling when sewing. I plan to try it unless someone has a warning against it. First, I'll sew a sample and machine wash it to test for colorfastness.

Any other advice for sewing with silk floss?

Thanks in advance! I also posted these questions at the DMC forums but haven't had any responses.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wynative

Barb,

~I'd like to store it on the cardboard or plastic bobbins~

I store all of my silks on these. I have never had a problem with them snagging. I cross stitch with them and haven't had any problems with it snagging on aida any more than cotton thread.

~Has anyone used conditioner~

I also store them in these. Haven't noticed any residue or stickiness. They will keep dust free, also.

As per you using water to prevent snags, I haven't tried it but it sounds like it would work except for the bleading.

good luck,
Marie

Bookmark   October 18, 2006 at 10:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Barbaraga

Thanks Marie.

I had a large wave of family visit this month, but now the house is at peace again, and I pulled out my new project last night and studied it. I hand embroider on clothes, so I'll definitely test for colorfastness and pre-wash any colors that run before sewing. I shopped last night for the thread conditioner (can't remember the brand name) but couldn't find it at 2 stores.

I've never put floss on bobbins, but since the thread snags so easily, I thought there might be something on the bobbins that could snag the thread. Thanks for the encouragement.

Bookmark   October 19, 2006 at 8:42AM
More Discussions
Pfaff 5D software
Hello, I am purchasing a Pfaff 2140 machine at a local...
byrdgirl65
Viking embroidery machine software
I am interested in purchasing embroidery designing...
kiki31348
Bobbin Thread Rising into Embroideries
I have a new (since February) Huqsvarna Rose sewing/embroidery...
pchoench
hand embroidery needle HELP!!!
Hi! I need to find a specific type of embroidery needle:...
elenatogn
list of free design sites
Does anyone have a list of site that have free designs?...
crittersareme
Sponsored Products
Adesso Lamps Parker 62.5 in. Black Shelf Lamp with Drawer 3133-01
$74.38 | Home Depot
Water Fall Ivory Five-Light Chandelier
$533.00 | Bellacor
Laura Ashley Lamp Shades Classic 11 in. Vanilla Bell Shade White SFL411
$24.00 | Home Depot
Lavender Herb Bunch D├ęcor
$14.99 | zulily
Her Cushion
| Dot & Bo
Hand-Tufted Brown Floral Wool and Art Silk Area Rug (2' X 3')
Overstock.com
Shaded "Cascade" Chandelier
$1,850.00 | Horchow
3'x8' Wool and Silk Runner Handmade Denim Blue Tabriz Mahi Oriental Rug Sh19824
1800 Get A Rug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™