How to preserve a piece of art

dirtundernailsSeptember 28, 2006

I bought an unbelievably beautiful pillow hand embroidered with a scene of birds and people. It looks like the base is a strong cotton blend. I don't think it's very old, perhaps 10 - 15 years? I'm sure I'll spill coffee on it or the dogs will get to it if I keep using it as a pillow. What are some tried and true conservation methods of presenting it that will help ensure longevity? A special frame? Boxes? Acid papers? Any help would be appreciated!

I'm willing to disassemble it and have it be a framed piece of art instead of a pillow...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joansews4u

Shadow boxes are good with acid free backings.Here is an address from a couple who display them at one of the largest craft type shows in Alabama. Debbe & Greg Shirley,2004 King Court, Fultondale, AL 35068, 205-841-8077, Shadowboxgirl@netzero.com

They have them 1 5/8" deep or 3" deep or will custom make for an extra $5 per inch. 6x6 is $6 all way up to 18X24 at $35. She provides explicit directions for setting up your
display. They do mail but there is no listing about charges.

I have a couple for some of my mother's sewing things...scissors, pin cushion, thimbles & etc. Instead of using the mat backing, I purchased pictures from another vender of an antique sewing machine & one of an elderly woman's hands while quilting.

Bookmark   September 28, 2006 at 2:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stitchntime9

I have a Sturbridge kitchen towel from early 70s I put in a poster frame backed with fabric left from a pair of wool slacks I made...one of those happy discoveries. The towel is centered on the charcoal wool fabric that serves as a mat and makes a stunning display.

You might be able to do the same with a coordinating fabric for the mat in a size frame appropriate for the pillow.

Bookmark   October 2, 2006 at 9:40AM
More Discussions
thread breakage
Help please. I have a Futura CE200. All was well. Have...
crittersareme
Machine embroidery
I have a white 3300 embroidery machine I cannot figure...
Papillons
Hand Embroidery Tips & Techniques
I came across this site earlier today and wanted to...
lola8325 zone5KS
Making letters
What is the best way to make my letters and words even?...
tim45z10
Brother 270D
Hi to all, I may be the new owner of a Brother 270D...
byrdgirl65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™