Black bees hive

edwin_applianceJuly 21, 2007

Hi all,

There was a black bees hive found in front of my father in law's house. He damaged half of it, with the bottom half was cut & dropped onto the ground. He thought they will relocate. Next day, he found the hive was already partly repaired! The bees are still coming & going to & from the nest.

What should we do now? Any suggestions? Is it the best way to kill them all? Personally, I don't want to kill them. If I damage the nest enough, will they "give up" & build their new home somewhere else? I was thinking to get someone with gardening background to "clean" them up. Any suggestions are welcome.

Please advise.

Edwin_appliance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy

For whatever reason (global warming or something else) bees are in very short supply this year and everyone's worried about them - the future of growing things, etc., so if it's remotely feasible to just leave it alone this season, use another door, very gently (at night) move it over out of the way a bit, I'd say that would be terrific.

Bookmark   July 21, 2007 at 10:47AM
brickeyee

Sounds more like hornets than honey bees.
If they are black and white they are hornets.
Honey bees are black and brownish.

Bookmark   July 21, 2007 at 11:28AM
dreamgarden

A link that might be useful:

www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-carpenter-bees.htm

Bookmark   July 21, 2007 at 12:21PM
brickeyee

Carpenter bes do not build hives.
They are mostly solitary.

Bookmark   July 23, 2007 at 7:16PM
bulldinkie

Sounds like bald faced hornets,black and white.Can you leave it till fall when they leave.Those are nasty bees too,.

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 2:57AM
bus_driver

The choice is to leave them alone or to kill them. They will not be discouraged. They do not negotiate. When fully dark they will be as much at rest as they get, one of the long distance aerosol sprays marked for such insects will kill them. Aim at the nest opening in the bottom. Be close enough for good blast when you start. As you spray, move in closer as the pressure of the spray drops. For European hornets, I use one of the electric bug zappers for a few days to reduce their numbers. They will fly into the zapper all night long. Clean out the zapper each day.

Bookmark   July 29, 2007 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
Water Leak - Home Addition- HELP
We are right in the middle of a 1400 sq ft. home addition/...
ladyj08
Advice On New Neighbor
This family moved in next door to us (they are renters)...
GardenGuy2000
Dealing with a crazy neighbor
Condensed version: My neighbor aggressively pounds...
dtxgal
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™