embroidery stabilisers for baby clothing

moyaustAugust 27, 2006

Hi. i'm having a baby in less than 4 weeks and have a Brother innovis machine. i'm trying to embroider on baby rompers/bodysuits (100% cotton, 170-220 gsm) and am having trouble finding the right stabiliser to use. i don't want to use too thick a stabiliser (u can see the cut-away through the fabric and they leave a horrible line) but the tear away doesn't seem stable enough. i've seen some clothing which has a light mesh over the finished embroidery as well so the stitches don't scratch the baby.

if anyone has any advice, i'd appreciate it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Islay_Corbel

Congratulations!
I've never embroidered on this type of garment, but I would iron some Floriani Dream Weave before to add some body to the garment, then use a cut away no show mesh, then iron more of the foriani product to prevent the little one from being scratched by the embroidery. Let us now how you get on.

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 2:16AM
stitcheasy2003

Hi
Use Sew Stable Polymesh no show stabilizer. Or any other brand that is a polymesh.
Sew Stable Cutaway Polymesh no show stabilizer, Fusible Polymesh no show stabilizer, tearaway Polymesh no show stabilizer
Its very soft and is made for being next to the body.

Bookmark   August 28, 2006 at 7:37AM
joansews4u

I use a nylon tricot interfacing from the regular interfacing area. It has a one way stretch. You iron it on with that stretch going opposite of the garment stretch. I then hoop a tear away & spray it with adhesive & simply lay the garment on it to embroidery. After I remove the tear away, I iron on another layer of the tricot....direction does not matter here. This layer covers any roughness of the embroidery threads. I do have to go back & iron this after a few washings because you can't use a real hot iron to attach it. It tends to loosen at the edges after a few washings. I use this method for all children's wear where the stitching will touch their body. I use the tricot as a base layer for all knits.

I have a 7 year old great niece that swears by this method & knows exactly how to fix bought items that scratch her too! Shortly after I first learned this method, she was trying to tell my daughter the secret way I fixed things & my daughter had no idea what she was talking about. They came to my house for something & she went in my sewing area & got a piece of the interfacing & took it to my daughter saying "This is what you need". We laugh at the 7 year old teaching the 37 year old new ideas.

Bookmark   August 29, 2006 at 2:58PM
movingwest

I use water soluble stuff. wash it once and it's all gone. Plus I always use poly thread not rayon as poly takes bleaching better on kiddy clothing.

Bookmark   September 2, 2006 at 4:06PM
mcarmen

A good professional backing for clothing like this is M.E.T. Pro Specialty #90 from Midwest Embroidery; it's a web mesh weave and very strong yet lightweight and soft, (www.midwest-thread.com). If you want a very soft tear away, use Hollingsworth & Vose #1885, we use this on childrenÂs school uniforms and they wear just fine with no extra work. Sometimes you can use an iron-on to cover the stitches as others are suggesting here, however you will almost never see this on ready-made products. If your digitizing is correct, adjust your stitch density a bit low and the embroidery should not be heavy enough to scratch if you have the proper backing. Try to find a close match to the fabric (like at walmart) and test it several different ways till your happy before you run the real thing.

Good Luck

Bookmark   September 6, 2006 at 5:16AM
More Discussions
Deco 330 downloads
Is there a way to transfer from computer to the Deco 330...
dixiebelleAR
Singer Futura CE100
Hi, I am new to the forum and desperate to speak to...
Karen_Ann
Husqvarna-Viking Designer 1 Software
Hi all, I have recently decided to try out the embroidery...
MaryPrim
Help!! Anyone have a Brother SE-270D embroidery unit?!
Help! I made a huge mistake. I knew nothing about sewing...
Caitmon
pe design 2.0 help!!
hiya ive brought pe design 2.0 off of ebay its come...
mrsgeorge
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™