HELP! Have questions regarding machines?

paintmishapAugust 11, 2009

Hello everyone!

I have been thinking for a while that I would like to buy an embroidery machine for monogramming. I often have it done for my children and it is so expensive. It seems to be a high demand item in my area. I was thinking about starting a little business to try and pay for my machine. Problem is I don't really know what to look for in a machine. I can sew and feel I am a pretty talented seamstress. I really just want a machine for embroidering names on backpacks, purses, pillowcases, diapers, things of this nature. I don't want to big of a machine but on the other hand I don't want to make a purchase and regret it and therefore wasting what I have spent. Any suggestions?

One other question. Why is it seemingly so expensive for monogramming? Is it the thread? Just trying to figure out if the whole process is worth it or should I just continue going to my local shop? I thought $38 for a 4 letter name 1 inch on two items is quiet pricey? Any thoughts?

Thanks a bunch!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dayenu

it's expensive in the shops because they use industrial machines loaded with all the colors that whip out anything super fast. home embroidery machines would let you do a very nice job but take into acct that the machine is just the start, then you have to invest in designs/alphabets, threads, the material to give heft to the fabric when you hoop it and depending on what you embroider: specialized hoops.

I have a sewing only machine and a sewing/embroidery machine that I keep set up always for embroidery because it's a drag to switch from one mode to another.

Babylock has a new machine where the embroidery/sewing switch is minimal and that is a really workable two in one machine. Does this help?

Bookmark   August 12, 2009 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
Machine embroidery
I have a white 3300 embroidery machine I cannot figure...
Papillons
Help with embroidery
I just recieved the Brothers SE400 sewing and embroidery...
JordonWalker0722
Need help with my Janome 350e
I have a Janome 350e. It has been sewing beautifully....
Hilary Motzouris
Husqvarna-Viking Designer 1 Software
Hi all, I have recently decided to try out the embroidery...
MaryPrim
list of free design sites
Does anyone have a list of site that have free designs?...
crittersareme
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™