Devices to help move off landlines

sniffdogApril 7, 2013

The area I live in (boonies) recently got 4G access. Until this chnage, we were forced to live with land lines for phone and satellite internet.

With the 4G service, I can now port my home phone number over to cellular and AT&T makes an access point that would connect the cellular phone system to my cordless phones in the house with unlimited long distance for 20 dollars a month.

I would love to move off my landline but I have to deal with the alarm system (which I might have a solution), my front gate, and the phone connection to my Dishnet receiver. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to handle the latter 2 issues.

1) Front entry gate: I have a gate that is 800 feet from my front door. There is call box at the gate entrance that allows visitors to call the house for access and I can open the gate via my home phone. The call box clamps on to the main phone line to function. To install the gate box, I had to run a phone wire from the house to the call box and then another line from the call box back to the house - to allow the call box signals to ride on the home phone system. if I get rid of my landline, I need something that can generate a phone signal like a telco that I can connect on the wires running to the call box. For the return line, I could connect that to a dedicated cordless phone base station. Is there any device out there that can mimic a telco central office line?

2) Dishnet receiver: I am not sure if this is even a problem since I am not sure exactly what all the uses of that line are. I know that when we purchase pay-per-view movies from Dish (almost never), the charges go through the phone. If that line has other operational uses, I would need a way to interface the Dish receiver to the cellular phone system. What would happen if I just eliiminated the landline connection to teh Dishnet box? Or of I need it, can I connect the Dish receiver via a cellular connection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SnidelyWhiplash

yes

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 9:05PM
More Discussions
aspect ratio
We have 2009 insignia LCD. Am using Comcast mini hd...
stoveguyy
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
vizio xvt473sv dead
I have a 4 year old VIZIO XVT473SV that now has NO...
thew60
modem switch, ethernets, and extension cables
Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction....
jally
Humidifier or Air Purifier?
I have been transfered to this city, with a small-size...
walker1846
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™