Does TV converter box act as a tuner?

kashka_katApril 6, 2009

Well, I don't watch a lot of TV so just now getting around to dealing with getting a converter box.

Actually, I don't have a TV, I have an old computer monitor which I've used to watch DVDs and TV thru the VCR. It has a great sharp picture but alas the TV tuner in the VCR does not work anymore.

Am I correct that the tuner box in the converter is all I need - since there's a tuner in the converter box I should be able to just plug it into the monitor,no? It has RCA type plugs, 1 for audio and 1 for video.

If not... is there such a thing as a combo TV & computer monitor? Like I say - I don't watch much TV.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdbillp

If your monitor has a video input and and audio input then yes, the DTV converter should work as a tuner just fine. Just remember to go into the converter's setup menu and adjust the audio output from stereo to mono.

Understand that with this arrangement, you will only get DTV channels and not receive any analog channels.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 10:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wws944

Two more things:

1.) Some HDTV converters have VGA outputs, so they can directly drive an computer monitor at full resolution. (I have an old Samsung SIR-T451 converter box that can do this.) However these converter boxes will not be "coupon-eligible".

2.) Yes, there are a number of monitors nowadays that do have built-in TV tuners. Alternatively, you can also buy TV tuner cards that plug into your computer. You can then watch the video in a window, and use the computer for other things at the same time.

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 3:38PM
More Discussions
why do I have to "install"apps on my tablet?
So why do I have to install apps on my tablet that...
clairebuoyant1
Need a new Tv, thoughts on led/plasma
Im in the market to get a new tv. I have always preferred...
aellis722
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
Headphone jack
Dug up a sub-mini plug for my home phone earphone jack....
stoveguyy
POTS phone extension over local ethernet?
Through a mess up in communication I got a gigabit...
rwiegand
Sponsored Products
Cascadia Console/Laptop Desk by BDI
$959.00 | Lumens
Torus One Light Seeded Glass Mini Pendant
Lamps Plus
Lithonia Lighting 3 in. GU10 Nickel Baffle Recessed Kit LK3BBN U
$12.97 | Home Depot
Bramble - Roosevelt Plasma TV Stand /Sideboard - 23687
Great Furniture Deal
Babyletto | Mercer 3-In-1 Convertible Crib
YLiving.com