modify camcorder: please advise

tdesmondApril 5, 2009

Hello All,

I want to make a video rear view "mirror" for a wheelchair using the screen from a broken camcorder and a cheap webcam mounted to the back of the wheelchair seat. I'm handy and know electricity, but not much about electronics. Is a webcam's signal output compatible with a camcorder's screen display, (so they could be simply connected to one another)? Is there any convenient way to power both the screen and camera using a camcorder battery, (the wheelchair's own electrical system is 24 volt). Any ideas about how this could be done would be appreciated.

Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pjb999

I doubt you are using the right hardware. A webcam uses USB bus power. You would need to build a switchmode or similar power supply with different rails (voltages)

I guess it costs nothing to experiment, I am not super au fait with power supply design but you can often find designs on electronic forums (this one is more consumer level) - basically a couple of LM-317 s or 350's with appropriate added-on bits.

I would think a cheap reversing camera which you can buy in auto stores would be better, they will include mounting hardware then you will only need to supply 12v unless they have a 24v option built-in.

To work out the supply voltage of the camcorder screen (are you sure the screen works) ideally you want to measure the voltage supplied along the flexible cable, and go from there.

Don't forget a webcam will not have a 'video out' but a digital signal. That's going to be muy complicated. I would suggest a cheap security camera, which will come with a housing and mounting hardware. You can get them in most electronics stores or online, and they usually take 12v, some ac or dc.

The webcam would be too complicated.

Bookmark   April 6, 2009 at 3:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pooh Bear

Can a USB webcam be attached to a video picture frame?
A little searching on the internet would tell you that.
Got me interested now.

My power chair is also 24volt. It's just two 12volt batteries
in series. You could easily tap 12volt off just one of the batteries.

Pooh Bear

Bookmark   April 7, 2009 at 12:15AM
More Discussions
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
aspect ratio
We have 2009 insignia LCD. Am using Comcast mini hd...
stoveguyy
Throw them away ?
I have a DVD player, a cassette player , a tuner ,...
salbwil
modem switch, ethernets, and extension cables
Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction....
jally
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™