unidentifiable smell

jdogJune 24, 2002

I live in a house that had an addition built on many years ago. It's in pretty shabby shape, but we repainted part, put a new floor in, and now it's livable--it's now our bedroom. Problem is, there's a weird smell in that part of the house, which happens to contain the laundry room and a bathroom that we don't really use. Both these rooms are in great need of work: they have plywood walls where the paint is peeling, and the wood looks like it's been wet at some point. .. probably moldy? The smell is kind of old and musty, a little gassy, a little bit like rot, but not a dead animal. Ideas? Solutions? It's not a hugely strong smell, but it bothers me, and it's noticeable. The shower isn't being used, but we've run water in the drain a couple times to stop sewer gasses from coming up, and it hasn't seemed to help--does one need to do that a lot to take care of sewer gasses? Could it be rotting plywood?

Thanks for any help

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ranchhand

You got mildew growing on the inside of your walls. Somehow you must spray bleach between the walls to kill it. You might check under your flooring, also. Hopefully you have a crawlspace or basement.

    Bookmark   June 24, 2002 at 1:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
twelvepole

Keep water in the traps in the bathroom to prevent sewer gas. If you have peeling paint on the walls, that may well be a sign of moisture inside the walls and wet insulation. Remove the plywood and investigate. If you see signs of mold and mildew, you will need to remove the insulation and disinfect wall cavities and let them dry out. Gutters and downspouts should be clear and carrying water away from the foundation. Inspect the crawl space for standing water. Soil around the home should be sloped away from the foundation to carry water away. You should have adequate foundation ventilation with no dead air spaces and a polyethylene moisture barrier covering the soil. If you have moisture problems, you probably also have termites and/or wood boring insects. You might want to consider getting an exterminator to inspect your home. Most give a free inspection. Mold/mildew can be detrimental to your health, resulting in allergies, headaches, respiratory and other health problems.

    Bookmark   June 29, 2002 at 3:52AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Frozen Sump Pump Hose: How to Prevent ?
Our sump pump recently failed due to the exit hose...
ozziepuppy
Getting cat urine smell out of carpet...
What's the best way? Or what's the best thing to make...
nadastimer
Help! what kind of biting insect has invaded my home?
Over the last few weeks I've been itching from something...
Cassandra
Heating Oil Spill & Smell
So here is my issue. Currently under contract to purchase...
jemcdonald
Dealing with a crazy neighbor
Condensed version: My neighbor aggressively pounds...
dtxgal
Sponsored Products
White 59-Inch x 84-Inch Odor-Neutralizing Sheer Voile Grommet Curtain Panel
$11.95 | Bellacor
Savon Du Chef Odor Remover Soap by Alessi
$27.00 | Lumens
Woodlore Closet Organization Lavender Aromatic Cedar Blocks (4-Pack) 83005
$3.49 | Home Depot
London Scented Candle by Tom Dixon
$80.00 | Lumens
Rustic Style Hemp Cord Wave Pendant Light with Candle Lights
ParrotUncle
Unscented Spin-Credible! Laundry Detergent - Set of Two
$21.99 | zulily
Bouquet of 6 Lavender Glass Roses
Classic Hostess
Antica Farmacista Lemon Verbena Diffuser & Candle Set
$119.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™