TV Protection

pete_p_nyApril 22, 2010

I have an outlet on the wall near the ceiling for a mounted TV connection. Should I protect my TV...I am used to using a surge protector. Do I need one. What is common in this situation. I have heard from some they use a battery back up supply because it provides better power.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maryland_irisman

Pete,

You should surge protect your tv. You can get small cube sized surge protectors that plug into the outlet and then plug the tv into it. You can get them just about anywhere. Home Depot and Lowes carry them. As for the battery back up...get a good one to assure minimum interference. If you use one, a surge protector is not needed. Unless you have to reprogram the tv after power loss, the battery backup really isn't needed.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 11:24PM
pete_p_ny

I went to look at surge protectors...that had many varieties in regards to joules....? From $6 to $49 ??? Any cheap one OK?

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 7:30PM
maryland_irisman

The higher the joules, the better protection you will get. Joules is a number of electrons passing a given point in a split second of time. The more surged electrons the protector can manage, the better it is.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 8:44PM
creek_side

Unfortunately, a surge protector is one of those things that you can't just look at to appraise its likely performance. That leaves the marketing sharks a wide open hole to sell junk as something that works.

Your best bet is to only buy a well known brand name. The company should be one that has a reputation for quality electrical products, not one that sells all kinds of consumer stuff.

I have purchased and been satisfied with Tripp-Lite, Square-D, and APC surge protectors in lightning prone areas.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 7:56AM
jdbillp

Other good units are available from Furman, Panamax, and MonsterCable.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 9:21PM
tigerbangs

TV sets take electrical jolts from 2 sources: the power outlet, and the antenna/cable TV connection: if you protect one and not the other, then you leave your TV set vulnerable. Nothing will protect 100%, but you can get a good power/antenna suppressor with a guarantee that will repair or replace your equipment if it is subject to an otherwise protected power jolt: that's your best bet.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 10:46AM
maryland_irisman

good advice tigerbangs.

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 11:44PM
More Discussions
Humidifier or Air Purifier?
I have been transfered to this city, with a small-size...
walker1846
previous post about 50ML8105D
My previous post about my Magnavox/Phillips 50"...
tribefan53
modem switch, ethernets, and extension cables
Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction....
jally
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
50" dlp tv
Here is a picture of the whole part...
tribefan53
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™