I want to buy a cheap embroidery machine. Is there such a thing?

ilovepinkJuly 8, 2004

I think that I want to just start out with an embroidery only machine, or maybe a cheap sewing machine where I can add the attachments.

I was in Walmart and there was this really cheap (in price and construction) machine.

Do you all have any suggestions for one? Or do I continue just to go forth with buying the attachments for my Bernina?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joly

If you're looking for an embroidery only machine, I've heard alot of good things about the White 3300 which is what I was going to purchase until I decided to go with a Husqvarna Iris which is sewing and embroidery. You can find the White on line for around $489 new or at Joann's for $538.
Hope this helps.
Joly

Bookmark   July 8, 2004 at 3:17PM
ilovepink

Is there anything cheaper out there? I would love to find something a tad bit cheaper if possible.

Bookmark   July 9, 2004 at 10:41AM
joly

If you check ebay, sometimes they have the White and Brother models pretty cheap. I saw the White (new in box, full warranty) just go for $265. That was lucky.
Joly

Bookmark   July 9, 2004 at 8:22PM
LelaMC

I also didn't want to spend a lot of money on something that would sit in the corner & gather dust. The low-end White & Brother machines are essentially the same, and as the features go up, so does the cost.
I bought a refurbished Brother PE150 from an Ebay store (think it was Shamrock's Small Appliances) with a 6 month warrenty for $300. I had to send the first one back, but received another immediately. They usually come with hoop, bobbins, instructional video, etc., as needed to get you started. I bought a Medeira thread sampler from JoAnn's online (18 spools for $20 + shipping). That was a year ago. I've added stabilizer, extra hoops and some thread, and have worked the little machine like a mule with no problem (except my own mistakes & incompetence).
I also bought second-hand digitizing software & card reader box of an older version, so it was cheaper. It does just fine, and I mostly use to download the hundreds of free patterns available online.

Bookmark   July 11, 2004 at 2:53PM
msmeow

Check with your local sewing machine dealers, too. They sell used machines that they take as trade ins. I wonder, do those 50% off coupons JoAnn's has apply to machines?

Bookmark   July 16, 2004 at 12:10PM
david_ji

Dear sir
As our company is one of the leading manufactures of the embroidery machine, rainbow computerize technology Ltd has been well-know for innovating and distributing high quality embroidery machines all over the world. with more than 20 years experience in the embroidery industry. Rainbow obtained a high reputation and rapid growth.
if u are interested u can contact following:
tel:86-595-88688899 fax:86-595-88688890
Email:jidacid@yahoo.com.cn

Bookmark   August 12, 2004 at 8:36PM
Laura_Jeans

I bought the Janome 300 E new for about 1200 dollars. Love the way designs stored on compact flash card . It does 5 by 7 something embroidery field.Dislike the small 4by 4 emb field emb machine Use Embird to convert to jef. Lots of freebies out there seem to include jef format now
Use my version 3 Artista softwear to design ,fonts create and manipulate designs too Just my humble opinion

Bookmark   September 20, 2004 at 1:32PM
Sue_in_NYC

msmeow,

The Jo-Ann's coupons always specifically exclude machines.

I bought a Viking Iris and love it. However, the cards are quite expensive, and while I had the money to buy the software and card-reader, it's an expensive necessity for someone looking to do this on limited funds.

The Viking dealerships at Jo-Ann's often sell demo models for substantial mark-downs. They carry White and Viking.

Bookmark   September 24, 2004 at 11:33PM
soapstar

I would not buy a cheap machine of any kind. Likely you will have problems
with it. It would be better to look for a quality machine that is used and/or
refurbished. eBay has deals.

Bookmark   October 20, 2004 at 3:02PM
msmeow

Sue, I realized after I posted that the area where they sell machines is a separate store - JoAnn's leases the space to Viking or some other manufacturer. DUH.

Bookmark   October 20, 2004 at 5:11PM
diayag

I have been counseled that a cheap embroidery only machine will annoy you in time, and you will use it a lot more than you expect, as we all know well. Free and cheap designs are widely available all over the web. A good combo machine (both my machines were good, bought used), according to Consumer Reports review three years ago, does the regular sewing tasks much better than a sewing-only machine, so it is not going to sit, no matter what. I can certainly sympathize with the economy, but it is better to wait and buy a better used machine than to spend maybe half that on a machine you come to hate and don't use. If you check your local sewing store (not a Joann, that has a sub contract with Viking for their larger stores), they usually have machines from people who have traded up just like buying a used car from a new car dealers trades. They often have all different brands, because they take anything in trade, and I have seen some incredible bargains in combo machines from Janome, Elna, as well as Babylock and Brother - at a time when I wasn't buying. Take your time about it, even if you have the bug, and check back often. You can get some real gems from trades.

Bookmark   October 25, 2004 at 3:17PM
msmeow

Diayag - when I bought my Brother machine (combo sewing and embroidery) last year at a show, the ladies there told me to hang on to my old machine, so I could be sewing while the Brother was embroidering. Well, we gave the old machine to our niece, and I'm still trying to convince hubby that I need an inexpensive sewing only machine, so I can sew while the Brother is embroidering! Next time I'll listen to advice!

Bookmark   October 25, 2004 at 3:32PM
miltonmalaya_ymail_com

pliz send me some saples and price list on the embroidery machines

Bookmark   January 19, 2011 at 8:45AM
Balto

I was saving for an embroidery CE200 Singer Quantum but before I got money saved for it.... took a longer than expected. I decided to purchase a $200.00 Singer electronic machine with 140 stitches, and use that while waiting for my embroiery machine. I had worn out two machines since 1969 and I was now without any. That was about 4 or 5 years ago, and my temporary machine is still working like a hero and I am not sorry as I now use my embroidery machine for just that, and the electronic sewing machine for construction and garment sewing. I make tote bags and do embroidery on them, using both machines. Walmart has a Brother machine that does a lot of different buttonholes, and scads of stithes for about $200.00 - $250.00 don't remember for sure the price but it looks like a machine I would consider. Machines improve frequently, so I figured a cheaper machine would allow me to upgrade sooner....if something newer and better came along.

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
hand embroidery needle HELP!!!
Hi! I need to find a specific type of embroidery needle:...
elenatogn
Babylock Palette v9
Help! After a windows 8 update today, my card reader/writer...
kyserparker
Singer Quantum XL-6000
Hello everyone, This is a rant on Singer Quantum XL-6000...
ruby1942
separate forum for hand embroidery?
anyone else think this would be a good idea? machine...
mollyjanea
Pfaff 5D software
Hello, I am purchasing a Pfaff 2140 machine at a local...
byrdgirl65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™