Connecting TV to external speakers -Not working

char35March 21, 2013

My question is similar to Yosemitebills question recently.
I'm trying to connect my TV to external speakers, hopefully better sound .I have a RCA type connector to the phono Rt. and Lt. jack on the amplifier The other end too the TV audio out headphone jack.I have the external speakers connected to the amplifier. I believe I have the wires correctly to the speakers. ( Dark wire = red, plain wire = Black). But, no sound. I don't get sound from the CD player or radio either. All components that are connected light up when turned on. This an older JVC receiver. I'm using the phono jacks for TV because the others are being used. (CD, Tape Recorder)
I don't know where to begin to trouble shoot.
I hope someone can help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikecowley

You indicate that you are plugging the TV output connectors to the PHONO input on your JVC receiver. I would suggest moving that connection to the AUX input to insure that you are not overloading the PHONO input. The PHONO input on most receivers expects a turntable with a MAG cartridge which has a very low output. Some receivers have AUX1 and AUX2 inputs. Also, make sure that the audio out for your TV is enabled.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 2:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yosemitebill

Yikes! As Mike pointed out, you don't want to use the phono input as it is meant for a very low level magnetic phono cartridge signal that is much lower than the "line level" output from CD and tape players. The headphone output level is also higher than the normal "line level" but it can work. You do need to use a line level input however.

Since you don't have CD or tuner output either, start there. You didn't mention the model of the receiver (please do so if you can) but make sure that things such as "A-B" speaker selectors are in the "A" only position and you are connected to the "A" speaker outputs. Also make sure you do not have a "tape monitor" switch in the on position.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
RCN Cable box question
I have a 55" LG LED tv. Its connected to an RCN...
andrelaplume2
cheap tv
got a nice working fully functional 32" lcd yesterday...
stoveguyy
13.2v Battery Charger
The battery charger for my Craftsman drill has died...
randy427
Throw them away ?
I have a DVD player, a cassette player , a tuner ,...
salbwil
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™