Question about remote controls

catherinetMarch 27, 2009

Hi all,

My old faithful remote bit the dust. I use it mostly for programming my VCR and watching TV. One feature I really loved on the dead remote is "tape position". I can't seem to find this feature on other remotes. Is this not a common feature? I loved knowing exactly how much tape was left without having to ff through the whole tape and figure it out.

And why the heck do they put the most often used buttons at the very bottom of the remote? Its so ergonomically not well made.

Is there really much difference between any of the remotes in the $10-$15 range? I ended up getting the RadioShack Family Favorites remote for $10 but haven't used it yet.

Maybe I'll find the "tape position" feature hidden away in some menu somewhere??? On my previous one, it had its very own button. Gosh I miss that button.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jdbillp

catherinet,

I've never heard of a "tape position" button before. What brand and model VCR do you own?

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 9:52PM
catherinet

Hi jdbillp,
I don't have the model number, but the VCR is a panasonic "omnivision" VCR. One of the last ones made. The remote is a Panasonic "Light Tower program director universal".
I don't know why others don't seem to have this feature. I find it very useful.
I think I might be able to find a replacement on eBay. But I don't know how to do eBay!
Its funny how we get so used to one remote. Its really hard to change.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 12:40PM
jdbillp

catherinet,

The model number should be on a sticker on the back of the VCR. The number should be something like PV-1225.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 6:12PM
catherinet

Okay, I found it. Its PV-4525S.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 10:06PM
catherinet

jdbillp,
I did a search using the VCR model number, instead of the remote number, and found a replacement. Its not exactly the same, but it has the "tape position" button! Unfortunately, its about $22.00 plus S&H. Have you ever heard of replacementremotes.com?

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 11:00PM
jdbillp

I have heard of them. When the service manager of the shop I worked at couldn't get a new remote for a customer, he would often refer customers to them.

If the remote you found is similar to your old one, you might want to go ahead and pick it up. $22 is about half of what a new one would be, if you can find a new one.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 8:45AM
catherinet

Aren't the ones at replacementremotes.com new? I thought they were. The replacement is almost exactly the same, except for a couple buttons I don't use.
They should make super simple ones for people who only use it for their VCRs. The way most of them are made, all the important buttons for the VCR seem to be at the very bottom of the remote, and not easy to use.(especially for those of us with arthritis!)
I know......before too long we won't have this problem any more, since plain VCRs are on their way out.
Thanks for your help jdbillp!

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 9:50AM
jdbillp

I guess I misspoke (or mis-wrote). I believe that they are new remotes.

They just aren't ordered directly from the manufacturer like we usually ordered accessories.

It's all good.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 7:58AM
catherinet

Thanks for your help jdbillp.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 10:30AM
More Discussions
Throw them away ?
I have a DVD player, a cassette player , a tuner ,...
salbwil
13.2v Battery Charger
The battery charger for my Craftsman drill has died...
randy427
Humidifier or Air Purifier?
I have been transfered to this city, with a small-size...
walker1846
home stero using XM radio
i am building our retirement home and have installed...
coetexas
seek expert on plug-in wax-tart warmers
I bought this plug-in tart warmer via the Net, made-in-china,...
jally
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™