wireless sensors and alarm panels - which play well together?

elinpedersenMarch 13, 2008

I am about to buy a wireless security system (e.g. the GE Simon), to be monitored by NextAlarm or alarm.com.

I wonder if any of the wireless sensors I already have (left by the prev. owner) can be reused in a new system I buy, like 5 wireless 58xx Ademco components (4 doors and 1 PIR). There is also a Homesight wireless door/window senso, HMSM4140. Can anyone tell me how I figure out what might be compatible with what.

Isn't there one or a few standard protocols that is being used? I have tried to look up transmission protocols but basically been unsuccessful - perhaps I look in the wrong places? There must be a simple way of checking the specs to determine if the sensor signal can be picked up by the control panel - without having to first buy the panel and do trial and error ;-)

[I apologize if this message is posted twice; when I first submitted it "didn't stick"

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgmarie

If you want to reuse your existing wireless sensors, make sure your alarm panel is made by the same manufacturer. If you have existng Ademco sensors, you must use an Ademco panel with a wireless receiver such as the Ademco 5881. Nextalarm will support any number of different panels that use the 'contact ID' signalling standard. Don't feel you must use one of the panels that Nextalarm sells. I use a Ademco Vista 20P and have it monitored by Nextalarm. Those wireless sensors aren't cheap. You will probably want to try to reuse them.

Check out the excellent forums at:

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Security Store

Bookmark   March 16, 2008 at 11:49PM
More Discussions
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
aspect ratio
We have 2009 insignia LCD. Am using Comcast mini hd...
stoveguyy
50" dlp tv
Here is a picture of the whole part...
tribefan53
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
previous post about 50ML8105D
My previous post about my Magnavox/Phillips 50"...
tribefan53
Sponsored Products
Soleil Curtain Panel
$19.99 | zulily
Dale Tiffany Lamps 26.5 in. Peony Replica Antique Verde Table Lamp TT90428
Home Depot
Sterling Vista Pivot II 1505D-48S 48W x 65.5H in. Clear Glass Shower Door Multic
$610.99 | Hayneedle
Tech Lighting | Playa Pendant
$325.60 | YLighting
Silver Web 38" High Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Eclipse Navy 50 x 84-Inch Blackout Curtain Pair 2 Panel
$81.95 | Bellacor
Playa Wall Sconce
Lightology
Panel Wedge LED Wall Sconce by SONNEMAN Lighting
$300.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™