cat pee in crawl space is stinking up the house

fuzzywuzzerJune 9, 2007

Grosss! Now that the humid weather is here, our house is being filled with cat pee smell! We had an impossible time all winter keeping our cat out of the crawl space, which he loved to use as his litter box. Now the smell is in the basement laundry room and is seeping up to the first floor and coming thru the A/C ducts (furnace is in the crawl space). It is only the first of June and it will be hot until Nov. OMG!

Fuzzy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy

If you can access the space, get some Nature's Miracle enzyme cleaner. It's not just a cleaner but actually 'removes' the odor causing bacteria, etc. and the smells... really amazing (and no, I have no personal stake, but have found out about it on cat forums. I'll be using it when we leave our present house before showing the house.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 2:23PM
cleo07

I know what you are going through...my cat used to use my floor ducts as his personal toilet. I couldn't blame him too much, since there was a faint cat litter odor from the garage getting into the ducts. I used Nature's Miracle too-I dumped quarts of it right down the ducts. It did help.

You really need to close off the crawlspace completely though because it is the nature of a cat to keep doing annoying things like that.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 7:37PM
thatgirl2478

Having dealt with cat pee I know it's REALLY annoying and very difficult to get rid of 100%. Natures Miracle is ok, but I have found that the Natures Miracle specifically for cats is even better.

Another option you might try is something called Sweet PDZ. It's used in horse stalls to keep the horse pee smell down. I use it in my back yard to keep the smell of dog pee away. I can buy a 25lb bag of it for $8 or so. It's supposed to work well on cat pee too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet PDZ

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 2:53PM
centralcacyclist

Thanks for the link, Thatgirl! My daughter is raising a goat for FFA to show at the county fair this summer. It is housed at the school with numerous other goats and boy oh boy is it getting smelly!

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 8:45PM
dreamgarden

"We had an impossible time all winter keeping our cat out of the crawl space, which he loved to use as his litter box."

We used to have a problem with stray cats going potty in our flower beds. We sprinkled black pepper in and around them. Alot cheaper to use than those expensive sprays they sell at the pet stores.

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 6:41PM
fuzzywuzzer

Thank you all for your suggestions! I will try them all.

Fuzzy

Bookmark   June 15, 2007 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
biting flies uk
leave your house shut up for 3 to 4 weeks and let them...
annekeepgoing
damp brickwork
Please can you help with damp brickwork at the front...
Fred.21
Dealing with a crazy neighbor
Condensed version: My neighbor aggressively pounds...
dtxgal
Bleach stains on bathtub
My son just moved into an apt., and the tub area was...
wishnwell
Advice On New Neighbor
This family moved in next door to us (they are renters)...
GardenGuy2000
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™