Weight Loss stalled

nwroseladyMarch 28, 2010

Hi, everybody! I posted here a couple of times months ago, but didn't follow through. Briefly, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in Dec 2008, rushed back to Weight Watchers and started the program again after several years. I've lost about 90 pounds in the last 16 months, still have about 60 to go. I've also joined Curves and work out at least three times per week. Trouble is my weight loss has stalled in the last couple of months even though I'm sticking with the program. I did some additional exercise at Curves last week and broke through my low point by dropping another two pounds, so I'm tempted to think picking up the exercise is the answer. What do the rest of you do when you just bounce around gaining and losing the same two pounds? Anybody got any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
silversword

Hi NWRose,
I would up the exercise and water, and work on replacing any foods I can (eat more leafy greens, fiberous foods like apples, and reduce meats).

Also, maybe change out your exercising? If you usually do walking, try sprint-walking or bicycling. Try to break a sweat doing other exercises and jump-start your body!

Good luck!

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 12:13PM
harold14370

Hi, Rose

I've had a few stalls. I never really changed anything, just waited it out. Here is a pretty good article by Lyle McDonald that explains what's happening about as well as anything I've found.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyle McDonald - Of whooshes and squishy fat

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 10:53PM
nwroselady

Thanks to both of you who responded. My WW leader told me to increase the number of points (calories). This didn't make sense to me so I didn't. Then the owner of the Curves gym I go to told me that in the Curves weight loss plan, they work on this problem by building in to the plan a period of increased caloric intake, i.e. going from 1200 calories per day to 2000 calories per day for a period of two to four weeks. Their theory is that the body interprets the 1200 calorie per day diet as "starvation", and becomes much more efficient at using those calories. Increasing calories temporarily "resets" the metabolism, so when the 1200 calorie per day diet is resumed the weight starts coming off again.

Thing is, my clothing size is getting smaller, my fat index is decreasing, and when they do the monthly measurements at Curves I'm losing inches. So something is happening, even though very little weight loss is involved. I've decided to make the sacrifice and increase my calories temporarily.

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 11:20PM
harold14370

If you are losing inches, I fail to see a problem. But, that's okay, a break from your diet won't hurt.

Bookmark   April 20, 2010 at 5:13AM
More Discussions
Weekly Support 21 - 26 Oct
Ooopsy - I lost track of this week. Where on earth...
mcpeg
Weekly Support 27 Oct - 2 Nov
Happy Monday! Hi everyone, It's my weigh day - down...
mcpeg
Appetite is out of control, want to lose 25LBS
Hi, I have tried many diets and exercises, many pills,...
koolkelley
New low-carber here
Hi, everyone-- I wanted to introduce myself and see...
Repol
Weekly Support 13 - 19 Oct
Hi Everyone, I've been MIA after this weekend. Yesterday...
mcpeg
Sponsored Products
DreamLine Enigma-X 32-1/2 x 48-3/8 Frameless Sliding Shower Enclosure
Overstock.com
Abigail Mirror
$599.00 | Horchow
Broadway Polished Chrome Six-Light Bath Fixture
$46.35 | Bellacor
Vouge Ultra Modern Copper Leaf Vessel Sink
maestrobath
Scale 1:1 | Bolla 2 Glass Coffee Table
YLiving.com