speakers for TV

laurenjayMarch 8, 2009

I have a Phillips 32" HDTV. I would like to attach speakers to improve sound quality. The room the TV is in is not huge (I live in an apartment). I do not want these kits with 5 speakers. In the same room I have a Marantz receiver (about 15 years old), a Denon CD player and 2 Polk speakers which were bought at the same time. Can I get speakers for the TV which would also work for my CD player? I don't want to spend a fortune and I don't want a inexpensive kit that comes in a box.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Your Philips set should have a pair of low-level audio 'monitor output' jacks on the back. These would be colored red and white for right and left channels respectively. Connect these to the 'aux' input on your Marantz receiver with a pair of patch cables, and all should work.

    Bookmark   March 9, 2009 at 11:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

do I have to change any of the settings on the TV?

    Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 2:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

No setting changes need to be made if yo use the suggestion WWS944 gave you. I have been doing this for years and the sound is fantastic.

    Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 11:37PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You may want to use menu settings to turn OFF the speakers in your TV set. That way you will only be using the presumably better amplifiers and speakers in your Marantz/Polk setup.

Like maryland_irisman, I have been doing this for many years. (Early 1980s - long before "home theater" became mainstream.)

    Bookmark   March 12, 2009 at 6:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

what do you mean low level monitor output jacks on the back of the TV? I only see audio "in". Are you talking about the back of the cable box?

    Bookmark   March 13, 2009 at 5:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The back of many TV's have red and white jacks labeled Audio Out. But not all do.

Does your cable box have them?

    Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 6:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If there are no "AUDIO OUT" jacks on your TV, your only option is then to use the AUDIO OUT on your cable box.

    Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 11:00AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

laurenjay: On the back of my Philips HD-ready TV, the audio output jacks are labeled "monitor output". There is also a menu item to turn the TVs internal speakers on/off. But if your TV only has a single set of input jacks, then it will not be feasible to hook it up. These input jacks are normally used for things like feeding a DVD player, or a video game console into the TV.

As jdbillp and criticalmass say, if your cable box has the audio output jacks, try using those.

    Bookmark   March 14, 2009 at 2:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I also made a set of jumpers that plug into the headphone jack on some tv's and fed the other end into the aux on a stereo system that does a great job too.

    Bookmark   March 15, 2009 at 9:04PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
POTS phone extension over local ethernet?
Through a mess up in communication I got a gigabit...
Cables and wiring? Cat6, hdmi, coaxial, ethernet?
I've been reading a lot on here about wiring our new...
Humidifier or Air Purifier?
I have been transfered to this city, with a small-size...
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
Sponsored Products
Portable Record Player in Orange
$79.99 | Dot & Bo
KOHLER Bathtubs Mariposa 5 ft. Right Drain Bathtub in Dune K-1239-VBRW-NY
Home Depot
Hi-Fi System Canvas Storage Set
| Dot & Bo
Winners Only Metro 74 in. Media Base - Espresso - TM174
Bello 63 x 20 Dark Espresso Wood A/V Cabinet
$499.99 | LuxeDecor
Blue Wave 2Person Carbon Infrared Sauna
Beyond Stores
Altra Hollow Core Hobby Desk - White - 9358296
$219.99 | Hayneedle
Mini Jambox Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
$179.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™