Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver RX-750

love_the_yardMarch 16, 2009

I have a Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver RX-750 (purchased maybe around 1992-1993?). The input selector switch doesn't seem to be working properly. No matter which input I select, the sound is fuzzy and static-y. If I jiggle the knob or press and hold it in tightly, the sound will clear up, but often goes right back to fuzzy as soon as I remove my fingers. I have to keep playing with the knob until I finally get clear sound.

It has been suggested that I repair this using a contact cleaner. I successfully removed the cover from the stereo and the knob from the front. However, with those removed, I am in unfamiliar territory. Where do I squirt the contact cleaner? I am assuming it would be on the front side of the panel where the knob was removed, not on the back side inside the box. However, looking inside the hole where I took the knob off, I'm not sure where to start squirting. Should I just set the stereo up on end and squirt all over the stem? What is the proper technique for applying the cleaner? Here are photos:

If that is not the right approach, can this be repaired on a unit so old? Is this unit worth repairing? (It was quite expensive when I bought it.) Can I repair it myself if I get parts? How difficult? Inside and out, the unit looks immaculate.

Thanks so much!

Carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_a

I can't offer much advice on the cleaning part, but I will give you my thoughts on repair/replacement. I was in a similar situation several years ago with a Sony receiver (from the 1980s) which I was very attached to. The estimate to repair was just too high. I ended up buying a nice Aiwa receiver for a ridiculously low price (through Crutchfield). What I got was good sound, all of the functionality that I had with the Sony, and a remote control. No, it's not audiophile-quality, but I'm guessing that your Yamaha isn't either. (If we were audiophiles we probably won't be on this forum.) So I say, spray the cleaner in, rotate the switch back and forth several time, and see what happens. If that doesn't fix it, look at replacements. If you're just using this unit for a sound system (and not a TV, etc.) you don't need a "home theater" reciever, although you could still use one. Yes, it's a shame that everything is now disposable, not repairable.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 7:29AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve340

You want to spray the cleaner in the back side where the contacts are. If you spray it in from the front it will never get to the contacts. Besides, there is grease on the shaft and all you will do if flush the grease out and make the shaft harder to turn.

Bookmark   April 2, 2009 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
modem switch, ethernets, and extension cables
Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction....
jally
Philips/Magnavox Tv Problems ?
To get assistance on Philips/Magnavox TV: Post the...
pee_wee
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
Sponsored Products
Academy Chandelier
Lightology
Strata Outdoor Bench with Cushion, Patio Furniture
$707.00 | FRONTGATE
Domi Chrome One-Light Halogen Square Canopy Wall Sconce with Titan Glass
$157.50 | Bellacor
Brella Satin Nickel LED Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Titan Glass
$319.50 | Bellacor
Natural Rutland Rug
$59.99 | zulily