Help with translation of "parade towel"?

marianneseMay 29, 2013

I am Swedish and I dabble in translation. I cannot find a good translation for the piece of often embroidered fabric that is hung on a towel-rail to hide kitchen towels in oldfashioned homes in Europe. The French call it a cache-tourchons, we Swedes call it a parade towel in literal translation. I collect these hangings and even have an American one, although it was embroidered by a German. It cost me 25 cents in an antique store in Madison, Wi, which led me to believe these things are not used in the US. The photo shows one of my latest finds in my kitchen. The style of the letters "Handdukar" (towels) shows that it was made some time between 1910 and 1920. Can you help with a good term?

Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Need help with my Janome 350e
I have a Janome 350e. It has been sewing beautifully....
Hilary Motzouris
Problem with HAINA machine (Tajima clone)
2 years ago I bought a 1 head 12 needles embroidery...
pe design 2.0 help!!
hiya ive brought pe design 2.0 off of ebay its come...
hand embroidery needle HELP!!!
Hi! I need to find a specific type of embroidery needle:...
Help with embroidery
I just recieved the Brothers SE400 sewing and embroidery...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™