Calorie Counting

silverswordMarch 19, 2009

I've started counting calories, something I told myself I'd never do. I found this really easy site called My Calorie Counter and started an online journal with them.

I'm not affiliated with them, and it's a free site. I never realized how many calories I was eating. Probably something like 3,000 a day. And I'm a medium boned female. Oops. It really helped me cut back, make healthier choices and logging my exercise showed me if I was doing enough to work off my calories.

It also helped me plan my treats better because I now know how many calories I have as "surplus" that I can use as treat calories.

I started exercising everyday and counting calories 4 weeks ago and have lost 5 pounds. Not a lot, but I'm going for slow and consistent weight loss.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harold14370

Silversword,

I think it's been shown in medical studies that just writing down what you eat every day will cause people to lose weight just by the fact that they become aware of what they are eating.

I think the online journals are great. There is another one called Fitday that was pointed out to me on another thread. I prefer to use my own Excel spreadsheet which I can customize to my own preferences, but to each his own.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 2:16AM
silversword

It really helped me. I didn't realize the four tortillas I was eating a day was adding 400 calories, not including the two cups of beans I'd put on them, and the cup of cheese. Yeash!!! Nearly all my calories for the day in one meal...

I started to use Excel but found this easier, as I can add my foods and choose from the foods they already have in their database, but like you said, whatever works for a person!!

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 11:04AM
trekaren

Someone in a weight watchers meeting once said, tortillas are like 'flattened, really dense bread' and it kind of put me off of eating them pretty much permanently. It is so funny the little offhand comments I would hear in those WW meetings that would stick with me. I'd rather get a sandwich with wheat bread from the deli now, rather than a wrap.

Although I must say I do enjoy the flatout bread. It's like a tortilla, only really high in fiber and low glycemic index.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 2:23PM
silversword

I don't know if I can give them up forever!!! I love tortillas! But I did cut out most breads, and don't eat them at all unless they are whole grain.

What is flatout bread?

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 2:45PM
trekaren

Flatout is a name brand. At our local Publix and Kroger, I find it in the deli. It's 'wrap', 'tortilla' type bread, but high in fiber. Link to the info site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flatout Bread

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 9:57PM
silversword

Thanks!

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 11:47AM
harold14370

Here is a pretty cool site and it's provided by the USDA, so there isn't any spam or advertising. You can plan a day's menu without even registering. Try it. Your tax dollars are paying for it, so why not.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA Mypyramid

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 2:19PM
More Discussions
the fast diet
i'm trying it with great optimism....really makes sense...
mmajicmann
Weekly Support Oct 6 - 12
Good morning Everyone! Welcome to another week of "let's...
mcpeg
Weekly Support 13 - 19 Oct
Hi Everyone, I've been MIA after this weekend. Yesterday...
mcpeg
Weekly Support 21 - 26 Oct
Ooopsy - I lost track of this week. Where on earth...
mcpeg
green coffee extract anyone?
I saw recently on TV Dr. Oz talking about green coffee...
vieja_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™