mirror tv for bathroom

tcjohnssonMarch 19, 2008

I'm building a smarthome and I was thinking about installing "tv-mirrors" in the bathrooms. I am aware of a couple manufacturers but the prices are ridiculous - over $2,000. I was wondering if anyone has managed to find a less expensive turnkey alternative or if anyone has built their own tv mirrors using a good LCD tv and two-way mirror. Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
regus_patoff

here's some info on TV mirrors (let more light through than 2 way mirrors)

TV Mirrors on eBay

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 8:23AM
tcjohnsson

Thanks but those are just mirrors - no tv. I can't imagine paying $500+ (incl shipping) just for a two way mirror. If that company was smart, they would integrate a tv into the mirror and sell as a package - for about $800-$900. The tv wouldn't cost more than $250. A nice sleek package would be worth $900.

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 8:31AM
regus_patoff

but, this way, YOU can choose any type and style of TV, LCD, plasma, size, brand ect.

just think about trying to get the mirror TV serviced. carry-in ? to who ?

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 9:14PM
tcjohnsson

True... but my concerns would be with fogging, moisture, sound (blocked speakers), etc. True mirror tvs are IP64 or better and offer side-firing speakers or speakers through the mirror themselves. So while a DIY version is an option, even doing it well could result in problems. I think a well-designed, reliable version could be built and sold at a sub-$1,000 price and they would sell relatively well. As data becomes more and more important, the tv could be used for more things than just tv. The possibilities are endless.

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 9:55PM
tcjohnsson

True... but my concerns would be with fogging, moisture, sound (blocked speakers), etc. True mirror tvs are IP64 or better and offer side-firing speakers or speakers through the mirror themselves. So while a DIY version is an option, even doing it well could result in problems. I think a well-designed, reliable version could be built and sold at a sub-$1,000 price and they would sell relatively well. As data becomes more and more important, the tv could be used for more things than just tv. The possibilities are endless.

Bookmark   March 19, 2008 at 10:06PM
dt1234

i am interested in this too. did you find anything out?

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 12:28AM
tcjohnsson

Bump... to see if anyone else has one in their bathroom

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
vizio xvt473sv dead
I have a 4 year old VIZIO XVT473SV that now has NO...
thew60
Humidifier or Air Purifier?
I have been transfered to this city, with a small-size...
walker1846
aspect ratio
We have 2009 insignia LCD. Am using Comcast mini hd...
stoveguyy
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
modem switch, ethernets, and extension cables
Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction....
jally
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™