Embellishing Fabric

Yaya7April 24, 2005

Hi! I saw a skirt in a catalog which had pretty floral graphics. Not embroidery, just the dark outlines of drawings. However, they were embellished with pretty beads and or sequins. What type of adhesive would you use to adhere the beads? Would you be able to do that with an embroidery project. I have a pretty tunic blouse which has some embroidery on it with a few shiny sequins. I think that is simple to do, but would like to know how that is done. Thanks

Yaya

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Laura_IA

Yaya-
It probably depends on how the garment will be laundered, etc.

My DD is a figure skater, and I've done about everything I suppose, except sequins. (Sequins are considered a faux pas in the skating world right now.) Most of the time when she wanted beads, I would hand sew them, making sure to put a knot in the thread after each one. Beads on the ice is a big danger to tiny skate blades, and you'd want to make sure if the thread broke that the whole thing wouldn't come apart. This was very time consuming and luckily she didn't ask for beads very often.

Most of the time we used Swarovski crystals, which we applied with a bit of a white glue that dries clear. I think it's called Gem-tack or something similar. It went very quickly, can be washed and we never had one fall off. I'm sure you could use this with beads as well.

Good luck!

Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 12:21PM
sherwood38

Depending on what sort of bead you want to use...you can buy some pearls or other beads by the yard from places like JoAnn's & Wal Mart. There is a special foot that you can buy for most machines that will quickly & easily sew the beads on and you wouldn't have to do them by hand or one at a time.

Pat

Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 3:03PM
Yaya7

Thanks, gals! I'll look into that bead foot for my bernina.
Yaya

Bookmark   April 25, 2005 at 3:43PM
More Discussions
Viking embroidery machine software
I am interested in purchasing embroidery designing...
kiki31348
Babylock Palette v9
Help! After a windows 8 update today, my card reader/writer...
kyserparker
Making letters
What is the best way to make my letters and words even?...
tim45z10
Bobbin Thread Rising into Embroideries
I have a new (since February) Huqsvarna Rose sewing/embroidery...
pchoench
Machine embroidery
I have a white 3300 embroidery machine I cannot figure...
Papillons
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™