What in ceiling speakers are you using?

timwalker69March 20, 2008

And are you happy with them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sniffdog

I bought my speakers from http://www.hometech.com/ and am using the ArhiTech 5 1/2 inch speakers for whole house audio and a pair of ArchiTech 8.5 inch Kevlar speakers for the rear channel of my surround sound which are in the ceiling as well. I am very happy with the performance and cost. SInce I was installing 8 pairs of speakers in my new home, i wanted something decent and not too costly. I figured that I could always upgrade later if I wanted better sound - but after hearing the results, that isn't going to be needed.

I think the trick was that I made insulated speaker boxes for all of my speakers and installed the boxes before drywall. The boxes really help concentrate the sound and make a relatively cheap speaker sound good.

I would recommend doing a search on Amazon.com and reading the reviews of the speakers. Jami and Polk seem to be favorites - but they are also more than what i wanted to spend.

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 8:11AM
oskiebabu

Much depends on your budget and how you plan on using the speakers. If they are just being used as background music what you buy isn't as critical as if you are using them for critical listening. For example, if you are using in-wall and in-ceiling speakers in a home theatre surround set-up, the quality of the speakers are very important.

Again, your budget, the quantity of speakers you want, and if you need better performance in some areas than others should determine what speakers you get.

Greg

Bookmark   March 21, 2008 at 8:59AM
elks

Sniffdog, I'm surprised that you built boxes for the walls. You may have limited the deep bass extension by doing so. In-wall speakers do not normally need boxes: the studs and drywall perform that function. Furthermore, by employing the whole space inbetween the studs, the bass extension is usually very good. Usually all that is necessary is to put insulation in the wall if that is possible before the drywall goes up.

I used to be in the business, but am too far out of the loop to give you recommendations, Tim, though I always liked Paradigm speakers.

Steve.

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 7:41AM
More Discussions
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
boothbay
aspect ratio
We have 2009 insignia LCD. Am using Comcast mini hd...
stoveguyy
RCN Cable box question
I have a 55" LG LED tv. Its connected to an RCN...
andrelaplume2
cheap tv
got a nice working fully functional 32" lcd yesterday...
stoveguyy
vizio xvt473sv dead
I have a 4 year old VIZIO XVT473SV that now has NO...
thew60
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™