Height of television on wall

mlutzFebruary 5, 2006

Hello, a friend of mine is adding on to his house and in the future wants to put a plasma tv on the wall. I know I have seen a rule before for how high off the floor a tv should be mounted if it is to hang on the wall. Could someone give me the recommended height? I know that part of it will be how far back the seating area will be, but I know I have seen a formula for this. He is wanting to add some blocking in the wall before the drywall goes up. Thanks,

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digitalden

Hello Mlutz,

I first want to let you know I own my own custom audio/video company and have many years experience in the industry. You have a very simple yet often asked question. There is no magic formula however a simple solution exists. A good rule of thumb is to center the TV exactly where your eyes will be after sitting on the chair or couch. The tendancy is to put the TV too high so it looks better in the room or on the wall in this case. If the TV is too high you will get tired of watching faster due to neck strain. Everyone usually compromises this by putting the TV's bottom where your eyes will be. The TV will be fine at that height. If you are sitting further than 10 feet then your eyes at the bottom becomes the optimal height. More than 15 feet and the eyes 12" below the bottom would be optimal. Also make sure you put way more blocking covering much more area than you will need just in case. This is very important. Some companies sell power and cable or satelite boxes that recess in the wall to go behind the plasma that allow you to plug in and hide the wires. Just to let you know.

Bookmark   February 8, 2006 at 7:36PM
mlutz

Thanks for the information. I was thinking that the tv should be at that level. I told my friend to put the tv somewhere between his eye level sitting and standing and to adjust depending on where he plans on sitting. Thanks for your help.

Mark

Bookmark   February 8, 2006 at 8:54PM
danandersen

Appreciate digitalden's advice. Assume he means the bottom of the screen when he says bottom of the TV.
I'm still discussing the compromise height level with my wife. Will try to invent my own wall hanging hardware. Will also have to decide whether to cut into the wall or have something between whatever is going to hold the components and the bottom of the TV.

Bookmark   February 25, 2006 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Headphone jack
Dug up a sub-mini plug for my home phone earphone jack....
stoveguyy
Humidifier or Air Purifier?
I have been transfered to this city, with a small-size...
walker1846
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
boothbay
POTS phone extension over local ethernet?
Through a mess up in communication I got a gigabit...
rwiegand
Sponsored Products
Charles Grande Armchair in Black
$549.00 | LexMod
36" Maestro Series Stainless Steel Island Range Hood - 600 CFM
Signature Hardware
Twin Thermostatic Shower Valve with Rigid Riser, Round Head & Handset
Hudson Reed
Mirror Wood Wall Hook
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Hudson Valley Jefferson Antique Nickel 2-Light Wall Sconce
Lamps Plus
Wall Mounted Rounded Chrome Toilet Brush Holder
TheBathOutlet
CSL Lighting | Drift Architectural Light
$200.00 | YLighting
American Lifestyles Bay Breeze Pub Chair (2)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™