How to deal with smokey aftermath?

morton5May 3, 2008

I left a pot of rice on the stove, got distracted outside, and the rice burned to a crisp and filled the house with smoke. I opened up all the windows to ventilate the house, but it still smells of smoke. Will the smell eventually dissipate? Anything I can do to speed the process?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cindy_lou_who

I know two people who did this. One was browning a roast and forgot about it. The other was boiling a new package of latex nipples for baby bottles and forgot, the pan boiled dry and they melted.

In both cases, their homeowner's paid for a company to come in and clean the drapes, carpets, and furniture. They replaced the carpet and repainted the house that had the melted latex.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 7:32PM
davidandkasie

boil some vinegar for a little while it will help, but as above you may still have to clean/replace upholstery.

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 9:51PM
scryn

Our wood stove malfunctioned once and filled our house with smoke too.
It took a while but it doesn't smell anymore. It was at least two weeks. It happened last year, so I can't remember how long it took exactly.
Although there was alot of smoke, we opened windows quickly and we did not have any smoke stains on any of the fabrics or walls.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 4:16PM
clemrick

You can try putting small bowls of vinegar in each room and leaving them out until the smell goes away.

Bookmark   May 5, 2008 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
Bleach on carpet
Okay, posted at one fo the other boards, but I am desperate!! Hello,...
Jessarlyn
damp brickwork
Please can you help with damp brickwork at the front...
Fred.21
Boarders in single families
Like to have input how different cities and towns handle...
jonnyp
Chimney waterproofing
Hi I desperately need help here First time home owner Today...
tinyminion
What would you do if...
1. You hired a contractor to remodel your kitchen (custom...
LuckyJoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™