king cone spool placement - help please!

karenlee56March 14, 2007

I am not new to the world of sewing, but new to machine embroidery. I made the ultimate mistake of purchasing a Husqvarna Viking Designer SE sewing/embroidery machine. Nothing has come easy with this machine, including the lack of assistance from Husqvarna Viking.

At any rate, I have near-consistent success with the use of Sulky's rayon thread, in the 225-yd. narrow spools. They fit nicely on the spool-holder under the cover and feed almost perfectly. However, when I try to use the "Mini King Cone" 1100 meter spools (they are not Sulky, but what I have seems to be good quality), no matter where I try to sit these spools on the machine (either of the spool holders under the cover, one spool holder tried vertically, tried horizontally, etc.), the thread goes for a short bit and jams, stretches, breaks... continually. If I sit there and hand unravel the spool as it's creating a design, it works great (but who has time or patience for that??!). I'm using the recommended settings that the "embroidery advisor" on the machine suggests as far as needle, tension and stabilizers.

I am using 40-weight rayon on top, and 60 or 70-weight prewound white polyester bobbins. I believe that I am using the correct needles and stabilizers for each attempt.

I am thoroughly frustrated and ready to quit embroidery.

Where do these larger spools usually sit for the best results? And how would the small and large spool-holders on the SE be situated on the spools?

Thanks in advance!

kt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Islay_Corbel

I don't have the same machine as you, but for these big spools, I use a seperate cone holder that I out to the right and slightly behind the machine. That works well. Good luck. For more help, try the forum at MarthaPullen.com

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 3:42AM
karenlee56

It took a bit more research and a call to a local Viking dealer to realize that many people use the separate spool holders, such as the stand type. I ordered a universal one from ebay and I'll try that out. I have read that others sometimes put the spools in coffee cups, glass jars, etc., but I can't for the life of me imagine how that setup looks, let alone how that could possibly work!!

Thanks for your input, Islay! Your post further reinforced the information that I found out yesterday, and I really appreciate the time you took to respond.

Karen

Bookmark   March 15, 2007 at 5:44PM
sewdisabled

I use a spare stand out to the right of the machine for my extra large spools but the 3000 meter ones I often just sit on the table in front of the machine and they seem to run OK from there. I also have a free standing stand on the table for the 2000 metre reels.
I have had to be more ingenious for the extra extra large reel of gold thread I bought in Dubai. The reel sits on the floor and is threaded through a curtain ring hanging on the door handle of the cupboard behind me and the thread then feeds through this, over my right shoulder to the machine...a cheap solution!!

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 11:38AM
karenlee56

Sewdisabled... I LOVE your ingenious idea for the huge reel of gold thread! Great thinking!

I have since been using the 10-spool standing thread rack that I purchased from Threadart off of ebay, with ARC's poly 40 1000-meter thread spools. I bought the 288-spool ARC kit from Melco Mart on sale at a GREAT price, and absolutely LOVE it! I have had no problems since using the thread rack.

In general, machine embroidery is much more enjoyable when you have the right thread set-up, correct stabilizer and proper needle! (obviously...) :o) I've been having a great time since my original post.

Karen

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 3:34PM
Islay_Corbel

Glad to be of help and I'm happy you're having fun!

Bookmark   April 4, 2007 at 3:47AM
More Discussions
Brother 270D
Hi to all, I may be the new owner of a Brother 270D...
byrdgirl65
Help with embroidery
I just recieved the Brothers SE400 sewing and embroidery...
JordonWalker0722
Wanting to know more about machine embroidery
A friend brought back from France a really beautiful...
Ennoh
thread breakage
Help please. I have a Futura CE200. All was well. Have...
crittersareme
Pfaff 5D software
Hello, I am purchasing a Pfaff 2140 machine at a local...
byrdgirl65
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™