Sewer spewing into my house :(

pebbles516May 11, 2006

We bought a foreclosed home in Feb. The house has been empty for 2 years but is less than 20 years old. It was a drug seizure so it took a long time for goverment to complete paperwork to sell the house. We're doing a complete overhaul of the house and everything was going good until sewer started spewing into the house via a hole from a removed toilet. Finally we got it to stop coming inside but our yard has been full of standing sewer for over a week now! 3 plumbers later and numerous visits from the city we've found out the guy who lived there removed the sewer pump (he was a plumber) and did some makeshift plumbing including an illegal sewer tap to the city line! Now we're going to have to dig up everything he did and start all over. Bye Bye granite countertops hello sewer pump :(

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaymeguokas

my sympathies! I had a sewer backup last week and it SUCKS. I spent the night with a wet-dry vac carrying sewage upstairs and out to the storm drain. After many hours of cleanup, many buckets of bleach solution, and lots of my stuff ending up in the trash, its finally under control. My house's Previous owner let the soil line rust away until it wasn't a pipe as much as a canal. good luck

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 12:25PM
gw:garden-guy

get a second opinion on the repair method required to fix your particular problem. tearing up the counter tops seems unrelated to a sewer issue.

Bookmark   June 3, 2006 at 2:34AM
lisa77429

gargen-guy, I think pebbles is referring to the "movement" of monies. Sounds like the money for the granite counter tops is going to have to be spent on plumbing problems. If so, I am soooo sorry pebbles. I would hate to spend big bucks for something that you will never be able to look at and say, "wow, isn't that beautiful? I just love that sewer pump".

Yipes!

Bookmark   June 3, 2006 at 8:18AM
brendan_of_bonsai

Oh but Lisa, its hard to say oh what beautiful countertops when you are floating on a raft in a sea of sewage.

Also Jaymeguokas, the storm drain is not the place for sewage, the storm drain goes to bodies of water, do you want people dumping sewage in the local streams?

Bookmark   June 3, 2006 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
House remodel gone wrong
Well, we messed up. We hired a man to do some pretty...
Dawn2298
Advice On New Neighbor
This family moved in next door to us (they are renters)...
GardenGuy2000
appliance mfg's & Home owner's ins.
Long story short, I had a water leak in a less than...
gardenerlorisc_ia
Water Leak - Home Addition- HELP
We are right in the middle of a 1400 sq ft. home addition/...
ladyj08
Problem neighbors and being watched by them
Hi I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section but...
NicholeN
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™