Downloading designs

Andi0214March 21, 2005

Is there a difference in the quality of designs from different web sites? I have seen some that are more affordable and some that are pretty pricey. I guess what I'm asking is do you get more for your money if you buy the more expensive designs or are the cheaper ones just as nice? I saw some alphabet designs for about $50 and then saw some for about $10 for a full set. Big difference! Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joansews4u

Every designer/digitizer is different & so is the quality of their work. Most offer free samples so you can try their designs before purchasing. I have downloaded a lot of free things that did not stitch out good or did not have a very professional looking quality about them. Therefore I wouldn't purchase from that source. Lots of people play around with the decorative fills rather than the smoother satin stitch fills. I don't care for the little circles, zigzags, waves, scallops & etc. It takes longer to stitch, uses more thread & has a homemade appearance/look to me. You can't tell if you are downloading this or if is used in what you purchase until you sew it out.

Namebrand companies are good & I believe are tested thoroughly before being marketed. Individuals don't have to go through those same channels. Some designs you see CHEAP are brandname work, copied & resold....Cheaper but illegal. If you see a design pkg, of say Pooh, too cheap to sound true, somebody else is profiting off the origional manufactor. Same goes for alphabets. Brother, Pfaff, Singer, Cactus Punch & etc have alphabets that are being copied & resold. Some people may make their own CDs from fonts on their computer too & sell them. I guess that is legal.

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 8:05PM
Andi0214

Thank you so much for all your information on both of my posts - very helpful!! I really appreciate it.

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 12:11PM
stitchntime9

You can't go wrong with the machine manufacturer and well known sewing sites for free designs. As Joan said, it can be a hit and miss proposition for some free designs from independent designers. You learn by stitching out designs as test runs as to who is and is not a good digitizer or designer.

I would use the designs on your machine for now to learn and practice machine embroidery (there is a lot of material to cover concerning fabric, stabilizers, and needles combinations with what thread to use) and then build to the downloaded and purchased designs.

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 2:20PM
diman

Hi!
You can try our free of charge designs at www.cross-stitch-patterns.us
Dima Shapkov.

Here is a link that might be useful: Machine Embroidery Designs

Bookmark   April 11, 2005 at 6:50AM
More Discussions
Need help with my Janome 350e
I have a Janome 350e. It has been sewing beautifully....
Hilary Motzouris
Husqvarna-Viking Designer 1 Software
Hi all, I have recently decided to try out the embroidery...
MaryPrim
Singer Quantum XL-6000
Hello everyone, This is a rant on Singer Quantum XL-6000...
ruby1942
Help!! Anyone have a Brother SE-270D embroidery unit?!
Help! I made a huge mistake. I knew nothing about sewing...
Caitmon
separate forum for hand embroidery?
anyone else think this would be a good idea? machine...
Molly Adams
Sponsored Products
linkup-rgb Wifi RGB LinkUp LED Controller
EnvironmentalLights.com
fanSync Bluetooth Receiver Unit for Single Light and Hand-held Transmitter
Overstock.com
linkup-rgbw Wifi RGB ColorPlus LinkUp LED Controller
EnvironmentalLights.com
iPhone/Android Controlled Lighting System
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
Educational Insights GeoSafari Jr. Animal Eye Viewers - Set of 3 - 5096
$27.99 | Hayneedle
Car Adapter for Photo Cube Printer
$30.00 | FRONTGATE
You Spin Me Around Turntable in Green
$79.99 | Dot & Bo
Arachnid Galaxy II Commercial Grade Arcade Dart Board - Reconditioned Multicolor
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™