Some sort of ''soil testing'' instrument. I want to make another.

albert_135February 28, 2011

Decades ago I bought a box of junk that had a ''soil testing'' instrument. It had a copper colored electrode and a silver colored electrode and a little plastic box with a gauge. I've no clue as to what it supposed to do.

But it was good for testing the moisture level in the soil of potted plants. Stick the electrodes in the soil and the gauge moved to crudely indicate the amount of moisture in the soil.

I got shipped out. The junk was tossed and time passed.

Now I am wondering if I could make another with some copper and aluminum and a multimeter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yosemitebill

Albert,

It sounds like you are describing a "soil moisture meter" alright. Some also have a switch to read soil pH & ambient light, and they don't even require batteries. For soil measurements, they use dissimilar metals in the probes and measure the electrical potential between them - very small levels of voltage/current.

While you could experiment depending on the lowest range of your meter, you probably have to do a large sampling of measurements and create some sort of reference chart to interpret the results.

Considering you can buy these soil moisture meters from home-improvement stores in the garden department, for $5-10, I'd be more inclined to buy one!

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Humidifier or Air Purifier?
I have been transfered to this city, with a small-size...
walker1846
plug-in 15w bulb caused sticky mess (wax melt)
Stupid me, I bought a plug-in wax melter / tart-warmer...
jally
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
Throw them away ?
I have a DVD player, a cassette player , a tuner ,...
salbwil
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™