matching speakers?

gardengirl53February 21, 2010

I went in to a store today to look for a center channel for out surround sound. The salesman said it is very important to have the front two speakers be made my the same manufacturer as the center channel speaker or the don't "sync" right. I mentioned that to my son who is going to install the speakers and he said he's never heard of that. I need to know what center speaker we are going to use for the carpenter to recess it above my fireplace with the TV but am not yet ready to purchase the speakers. Any thoughts from you knowlegable ones? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigerbangs

It is considered important to have the speakers all have the same 'voice'. When a home theater system is set up properly, the action and voices should move seamlessly between each of the three front speakers: for that reason, it is also important to be sure that the speakers are all the same volume. Most home theater receivers have some sort of pink-noise test-tone generator to help the user set the individual speaker levels properly: read the instructions carefully to learn how to accomplish that.

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 6:43PM
netlos

Get whatever center you want, you can adjust your volume in the menu of your amp.That's the biggest load of bull i ever heard, what if you went with the same manufacturer but went with a more high end speaker for the center (which most people do for the vocals in 5.1 surround) it would be no where near the same quality of the other speakers (despite who makes it)so get any one you want!!!!

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 7:54PM
gardengirl53

Hmm conflicting opinions. Now what?

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 11:06PM
jdbillp

It all depends on how critical the sound is to YOU.

If it is important, follow Tigerbangs' recommendation. It it isn't, listen to Netlos.

Me, I agree with Tigerbangs.

Bookmark   February 22, 2010 at 10:38AM
tigerbangs

Voice-matching speakers is a well-known concept when assembling a home-theater system from components from different manufacturers. Please read the link for a further explanation of the process.

Here is a link that might be useful: article on voice-matching speakers

Bookmark   February 24, 2010 at 12:17PM
Brent

Keeping the front and centre speakers the same is a well regarded rule of thumb in the sound world.
I was trying to make do with a centre speaker in my set-up (different make)because I already had one from a previous set-up, and I am changing it out.
The old one sounds boxy against the fronts that I have (and the fronts are keepers!), so out goes the old centre.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 6:14PM
More Discussions
previous post about 50ML8105D
My previous post about my Magnavox/Phillips 50"...
tribefan53
50" dlp tv
Here is a picture of the whole part...
tribefan53
aspect ratio
We have 2009 insignia LCD. Am using Comcast mini hd...
stoveguyy
Sounds like a fan going bad
I have a Magnavox 50ML8105D/17 (DLP-TV)..there is a...
tribefan53
cheap tv
got a nice working fully functional 32" lcd yesterday...
stoveguyy
Sponsored Products
Polaris P106 Coral Ensemble Chrome/Hardware
PLFixtures
Meditub 30x54 Left Drain White Soaking Walk-In Bathtub
Beyond Stores
NCAA Tennessee University Volunteers Sideline Pillow
$13.95 | Bellacor
Winners Only Topaz 74 in. Media Base - Cherry - TTC174
Hayneedle
Justice Design Group POR-8816 - Pendants 1 Light Small Pendant - Tall Tapered Sq
$147.60 | Hayneedle
You Can Find´┐Ż Rectangular: 5 Ft. 4 In. x 7 Ft. 8 In. Kid Essentials - Early Chil
$255.95 | Bellacor
Monarch Specialties Black Bonded Leather Match Love Seat I 8202BK
Beyond Stores
Florence Style Loft Wool Loveseat in Red Tweed
$699.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™