ants

sherryinmarylandMay 15, 2002

it is that time of year again, and we have "sugar ants" all over the house...any help in getting rid of them without spraying pesticides will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcl0361

Boric acid. Mix some with pancake syrup and leave it where they can find it. They will eat it all, bring it back to the nest and feed everyone else (including the queen).
We used this last year and it really helped.
There are previous threads on this subject with good explanations of how it works. Just do a search and you should find more info.

Bookmark   May 15, 2002 at 11:37AM
Tracer

I use a product called "Terro Ant Killer". One drop of the stuff on a little piece of cardboard gets rid of them. (I use 3 or 4 of the cardboards and put them under the baseboard heaters).

Bookmark   May 15, 2002 at 2:47PM
RCMJr

Boric acid hands down . . . . very safe around most critters . . . . used as eye wash for infections . . . . . but deadly to ants and such . . . . . it's not really a "poison" to them or us . . . . just messes up the chemistry of their digestive tracts . . . . . spread some in their paths, put a little in sugar water in a baby food jar lid . . . . etc. ..

Bob

Bookmark   May 15, 2002 at 6:54PM
Brian_Hall

I use Terro, which is just Boric Acid in a syrup. The ants swarm to it and take it back to the colony where it kills the fungus the ants eat, then the entire colony dies. Keep adding more as they "eat" it up. The entire process may take a couple weeks.

Brian

Bookmark   May 16, 2002 at 12:31PM
heavensentone2

after the boric acid we took baking soda in a plastic ketchup bottle and spread it around the inside perimeter of our house and have not seen ants for 2 years now . they hate baking soda. you can even reapply and it helps with odors at the same time.

Bookmark   May 16, 2002 at 7:37PM
trekaren

Ok, I got overrun with these ants for the first time ever two weeks ago. Saw a suggestion to use ground cloves. I could not identify a specific 'hole' they were entering by, but only the general area they were coming from. I sprinkled ground cloves all over the area, and they were gone in a day!!! They must not like the smell.

It's worth a try and if it works, you have an effective, non-toxic ant repellant!

Bookmark   May 20, 2002 at 7:22AM
goodtastenomoney

Heavenstone- stupid question but do you mean the interior or exterior perimeter of your house??
Thanks!

Bookmark   April 19, 2004 at 9:30AM
More Discussions
Is the snow causing roof damage or any plumbing issue?
My first floor bathroom today have water leaking from...
jhome2015
Dealing with a crazy neighbor
Condensed version: My neighbor aggressively pounds...
dtxgal
Bad Contractor
My wife and I are nearing the end of a bad experience...
KitchenDad
Bleach product discolored my kitchen countertop!
I used Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen to clean and disinfect....
Cyd1900
Bleach on carpet
Okay, posted at one fo the other boards, but I am desperate!! Hello,...
Jessarlyn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™