Good book of HAND embroidery stitches

jennFebruary 20, 2007

I would like to learn some basic HAND embroidery stitches for some quilting projects I am planning. In particular, I'd like to learn the blanket stitch and chain stitch. Actually, I learned them many years ago so it would be a matter of re-learning and improving the technique.

Can anyone recommend a good visual book that contains excellent illustrations and instructions? I found a few at Amazon and wondered if you can recommend any of them...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/333ZN14CB5261

Thanks,

Jen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nana24

Jen,
I have the Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches you located on Amazon and it has more stitches than I could ever use, but by doing a search for hand embroidery on line I found sites with the information that you are looking for and more.
One site is:
http://inaminuteago.com/stitchindex.html

Hope this is helpful.
Sally aka Nana24 (to four)

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 7:38PM
jenn

Sally, thanks so much. I found that site and it is indeed helpful. However, since I don't know the name of most stitches, it's difficult to find the one I want in a list of names.

What is the name of the basic and common stitch used to make a straight line or curved outline of something, or perhaps to sew one's name? It's a simple, basic stitch and I can't remember the name of it. I will be making a small wall-hanging quilt that uses applique on which I will embroider some lines and gentle curves to highlight features. The instructions for the stitch are not provided in the quilt instructions. If I can get the name of that stitch, then I'll know what to research on-line or in a book.

I'd like a good book to have on my lap and refer do while I'm doing the stitching in front of the TV. There are a few I put on my wish list at Amazon.... I may go to a walk-in book store where I can look through different books and choose the one that's best for me.

Thanks again,
Jen

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 8:43PM
nana24

Jen,
You probably want a Back stitch, an Outine stitch or a stem stitch.
I like books too. I also understand having it close at hand. Probably the best thing to do is look at a few at your local bookstore. You could even go in with some names of books that you have seen on line.
Good luck finding just what you want.
Sally

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Babylock Palette v9
Help! After a windows 8 update today, my card reader/writer...
kyserparker
list of free design sites
Does anyone have a list of site that have free designs?...
crittersareme
hand embroidery needle HELP!!!
Hi! I need to find a specific type of embroidery needle:...
elenatogn
Machine embroidery
I have a white 3300 embroidery machine I cannot figure...
Papillons
beginner to embroidery, need help!
I just purchased and received today, a Brother SE400...
abshelby
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™