Need help choosing an embroidery machine

tropicalcindyFebruary 29, 2008

HI folks!

I am new to the forum and would like opinions on purchasing a new embroidery machine. I want to be able to do shirts, sweatshirts, tote bags, possibly ball caps.

I am looking in the $2000-$3000 range, but certainly will pay less if one machine is better for what I want than another.

Have been sewing and quilting for years and am very computer literate, so wanting to get one that I can use my own designs from the computer.

Any and all help will be appreciated...either on the forum or off post to my email at lexxuscook@yahoo.com

Thanks bunches!

Cindy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bevhall

Hi Cindy, I'm partial to Brother machines and PE design. I haven't heard anything much about singers, I do hear pfaff and janome users are happy too. Just shop around for features you want/need. newer models have usb to transfer files to the machine.

I am teaching myself PE design with some tutorials found over the internet, I couldn't stomach $45 an hour for lessons from someone who may or may not know what I want from the software! It's windows based and I know all the ms office products and some programming, so it isn't as bad as some people say.

good luck

Whatever you choose, make sure there's a dealer around for servicing, warranties, etc...
if you want to test out software before shelling out the $$, sophiesew is out there, I haven't tried it. There is a free trial of PE design and I think Embird also does a trial period.

Bookmark   February 29, 2008 at 9:15PM
lindycat

I agree- I just bought a machine last week- Try to find a dealer close to you. Find out who will fix the machine-if you need it.. will it be sent away? or can the dealer fix it? make sure you can get FREE lessons- Most offer them. You are spending a lot of money with them- you should not have to pay for the lessons. Make sure the dealer is computer savvy-it helps. Go for customer service- that really counts. Good luck.

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 7:02PM
carolnv

lindycat - what machine did you purchase? I too am interested in getting a machine and have been going back and forth between different models for years (hence no big purchase yet, don't want to put out the big $ if I can't get what I want!!!). Thanks

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 5:41PM
More Discussions
Singer Futura CE100
Hi, I am new to the forum and desperate to speak to...
Karen_Ann
Viking embroidery machine software
I am interested in purchasing embroidery designing...
kiki31348
separate forum for hand embroidery?
anyone else think this would be a good idea? machine...
mollyjanea
Help!! Anyone have a Brother SE-270D embroidery unit?!
Help! I made a huge mistake. I knew nothing about sewing...
Caitmon
New to Machine Embroidery...Brother Innovis 4000D
Hi Everyone: I have just discovered this forum and...
SewReel
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™