'Learned from Experience' Tips!

maryanntxFebruary 9, 2005

Okay, I'm new at machine embroidery. I just got my machine, a Bernina, in November. I didn't have a lot of time to play around with it through the holidays, but now I'm enjoying playing and learning.

I've learned a few things from my new experiences that I hope I don't repeat! A friend brought me a darling valentine holder that she bought for her 1 year old granddaughter. She wanted it personalized with her name. The holder is a heart shaped pocket and I thought I could manage to stitch the name without taking the item apart. It was a very tight squeeze and after stitching the first letter I realized it wasn't going to work. so I literally spent hours removing the stitches on that first letter! Then I took the item partially apart and stitched the name. I now have to sew it back together again. Whew! What a job!

I'm chalking this off as a learning experience! I also learned that the machine puts those stitches in to stay!!!!

So...what have you learned from experience with your embroidery projects that I should avoid in the future?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joansews4u

Mary Ann, Buy you a mustache & beard trimmer & work from the back side cutting bobbin threads & scratch off the top. Best $20 I ever spent.

Bookmark   February 9, 2005 at 6:35PM
stitchntime9

I highly recommend the mustache and beard trimmer. I use it for hand embroidery and really save time when I make a mistake and have to rip out.

The other little tip is to make test samples or mockups of everything before doing the final stitching to find the ut-ohs and fine tune everything before using the final fabric/item.

Bookmark   February 10, 2005 at 11:46AM
maryanntx

Something else I learned last night. LOL Always check to see what order your stitches will be sewing in (if you have edited a design). I stitched buttonholes for the first time and since I was stitching them on small straps that I pinned to the hooped stabilizer, I set up a basting stitch around the buttonhole so that the strap would be stable and not move. I forgot to check my stitching order, and it stitched the buttonhole first. A lot of good my basting did!

Bookmark   February 12, 2005 at 9:39AM
More Discussions
Need help with my Janome 350e
I have a Janome 350e. It has been sewing beautifully....
Hilary Motzouris
list of free design sites
Does anyone have a list of site that have free designs?...
crittersareme
Making letters
What is the best way to make my letters and words even?...
tim45z10
hand embroidery needle HELP!!!
Hi! I need to find a specific type of embroidery needle:...
elenatogn
separate forum for hand embroidery?
anyone else think this would be a good idea? machine...
Molly Adams
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™