where to place front center speaker (surround)

tabbaldwinFebruary 24, 2007

Setting up a TV room in newly finished basement. Built-in cabinets (desk-top height, not kitchen height) along one wall will hold the TV (Sony 70"). We've pre-wired for surround sound speakers. I'm just wondering now exactly where the center front speaker will go. Was thinking about removing the drawer (one drawer above each cabinet door) and placing speaker there--but don't know if I can find one small enough to fit. So....where else would I put it? Can it sit on top of the TV--but wouldn't that be too high? Trying to get an idea of what I'm doing before placing the cabinet order (don't have TV or any other of the electronics yet either).

Thanks for any guidance/help!

Tracey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve_o

It should be OK sitting on top of the TV. Or along the bottom. If you buy a quality speaker, the sound dispersion should be good enough so that you don't miss much sound even at a larger-than-usual angle.

My TV (20" tube; I'm a Luddite when it comes to TV) sits in a wall unit; my old horizontal center speaker sat on the TV cabinet; the new one (a vertical single unit of my two front speakers) sits on a shelf above the TV. It works fine.

Oh -- and don't choose your center-channel speaker based solely on what fits. It should match your front speakers sonically; if it does not, things will sound disjointed -- not at all the experience you seek.

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
50" dlp tv
Here is a picture of the whole part...
tribefan53
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
RCN Cable box question
I have a 55" LG LED tv. Its connected to an RCN...
andrelaplume2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™