FSL -- When is it safe to skip the tulle?

gazaahJanuary 31, 2009

So I was playing with Ultra Solvy and embroidery, and I found I could make freestanding designs without any support if they were made of A. Triangles or interwoven geometric shapes, B. Metallic thread on the bobbin and spool. The geometric shapes hold themselves in the right shape because of all the corners and cross bars acting as support. The metallic thread, due to its plastic covering, is stiff o the point where I can make freestanding charms to add to beading, even wobbly shapes or circles.

Here's the triangle shapes, based off the Sierpinski triangle:

So when else can I skip the tulle? I can't find any guides to designing FSL, only how to use designs that already exist.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aezarien

I bought a tutorial a while back but it really didn't tell me anything that I hadn't already figured out on my own. I have learned the most from examining designs that were made by others. You can find a few free files here and there. I sewed them out on the machine to see how sturdy they were then examined the available properties in PE design and watched them in the stitch simulator a few times.

As far as skipping the tulle goes, your stitches need a "skeleton" to keep them from unraveling. The stocking at the bottom of the page at the link below shows an example of what I mean. There are running stitches that are sewn out right before and are eventually underneath the thick satin stitch lines giving the satin stitch something to hold on to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Free FSL stocking design

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 3:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gazaah

Thanks! I used Google Book Search to try and preview what was out there--not a whole lot.

So far it seems the strongest when I do three lines of stitching below a narrow satin stitch. I'm going to try doing pairs of lines under wider satin stitching next.

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 11:39PM
More Discussions
hand embroidery needle HELP!!!
Hi! I need to find a specific type of embroidery needle:...
elenatogn
Singer Futura CE100
Hi, I am new to the forum and desperate to speak to...
Karen_Ann
Need help with my Janome 350e
I have a Janome 350e. It has been sewing beautifully....
Hilary Motzouris
Babylock Palette v9
Help! After a windows 8 update today, my card reader/writer...
kyserparker
thread breakage
Help please. I have a Futura CE200. All was well. Have...
crittersareme
Sponsored Products
Caskata Sea Fan Dinner Plate
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Egyptian Cotton 600 Thread Count Extra Deep Pocket 6-piece Sheet Set
Overstock.com
Modern Marilyn Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Peri Bronze Two-Light Bath Fixture with Blue Matte Glass
$238.50 | Bellacor
Traditional Red Veg Dyed Super Kazak 5' X 6' 3" Hand Knotted Oriental Rug H3989
BH Sun Inc
Kids Construction Utensil Set
Classic Hostess
Bl 30 ft (9 meters) Half Inch Round LED Rope Light EL07030
EnvironmentalLights.com
King 406TC Embroidered Flat Sheet - INDIGO (KING)
$390.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™