water appeared in middle of basement floor - how?

BUTTON55April 15, 2003

We live in eastern PA and have a good sized basement which has generally been dry for the 5 years that we have lived in this house (the house is about 13 years old). This morning I went down to the basement and discovered water -it had soaked a portion of the carpeted section of the basement and there were puddles on the concrete in the unfinished portion. Most of this water was in the middle of the floor, with no evidence of leaking pipes, or seepage through walls. We are at a loss to figure out where it came from or what to do about it. We had heavy rain on Friday, but this is Tuesday; we were last in the basement on Sunday late afternoon and it was dry. Any suggestions? What kind of expert can we call to help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stripedone

It is probably the water table. The ground water that runs underground has probably been raised due to the rain, and as a result your basement is wet. Options? Well, there are many from weeping tile (expensive) to a sump pump.

Bookmark   April 16, 2003 at 10:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathy_

I read someone took care of this problem by drilling a hole in the floor just big enough for some 4' pvc pipe to be inserted and sealed. When the water pressure under the floor rose, the water went up the pipe and relieved the pressure - no more leaky floor.

Bookmark   May 18, 2003 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Bleach product discolored my kitchen countertop!
I used Clorox Cleanup in my kitchen to clean and disinfect....
Cyd1900
appliance mfg's & Home owner's ins.
Long story short, I had a water leak in a less than...
gardenerlorisc_ia
Chimney waterproofing
Hi I desperately need help here First time home owner Today...
mishyq
Bleach on carpet
Okay, posted at one fo the other boards, but I am desperate!! Hello,...
Jessarlyn
damp brickwork
Please can you help with damp brickwork at the front...
Fred.21
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™