'Copy Protection' message when taping on VCR

cheerful1_gwFebruary 23, 2009

This started happening when I switched the hookups from component cable to the DVI/HDMI cable in order to get a better picture on my HD television.

I still use my VCR to tape shows, and the following message has been coming up: "Copy Protection, The DVI/HDMI output is blocked, Press EXIT to Cancel"

It's very frustrating when you're all ready to watch the tape, and this message comes up (the sound works, just don't have a picture).

Has anyone come across this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimisham

I saw something similar on a satellite forum. That person had this happen feeding a TV using the HDMI cable from his satellite receiver. This is what he saw on the TV:
"Your TV does not support this program's content protection. Replace the HDMI cable with component cables...".
Someone's response was this:
"The movie studios are starting to insist that the providers use the HDCP copy protection system when delivering signals over HDMI, and you can expect to see this happening more and more on PPV and premium movie channels."
It's the first time I've see a report of this.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 9:34AM
cheerful1_gw

I'm not taping from PPV or premium movie channels, just regular cable channels.

Almost all the time I'm taping from one channel; the message doesn't always come up.

Some days the shows tape, and other days they don't.

I thought it was something I did wrong; looking at other forums, seems like a lot of people have this problem.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 10:34AM
davidandkasie

simple solution, hook the HDMI cable to the TV but use the compenent cables to feed your VCR. i know this works on my setup at home. the HR21 HDDVR i have from directv feeds the RCA/Coax/HDMI outputs all simultaneously.

i also have my compnent outputs feeding a 2nd tv in another room, it works great, you just have to watch teh same things at both locations.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 12:20PM
More Discussions
vizio xvt473sv dead
I have a 4 year old VIZIO XVT473SV that now has NO...
thew60
hdmi connection
i have a hd tv but standard cable. no hd premium service....
stoveguyy
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
cinemax
we have cinemax on our cable tv service. we dont pay...
stoveguyy
50" dlp tv
Here is a picture of the whole part...
tribefan53
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™