Redwork

katy122January 5, 2007

Looks so simple, but am wondering about red work fading when washed, I am talking mostly about the embroidery thread? Are there any special things I should consider before starting my project? Is any kind of embroidery thread acceptible when doing this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Islay_Corbel

I use polyester. It won't fade. I assume you're talking machine embroidery! For handwork, I don't know.

Bookmark   January 6, 2007 at 3:39AM
stitcheasy2003

Hello
If you are doing machine embroidery you need embroidery thread. Polyester embroidery thread is best to use for things that are laundered a lot. It doesn't shrink, fade, stronger than rayon thread. Mettler Poly sheen is one brand. Sulky has rayon that is better for things that are NOT washed alot. 40 wt. is the average size.
Redwork is also called Bluework, one colour designs. It can also have two to three colours to the designs, for filling in some areas of the design. Use the same colour in the bobbin as on top of the machine for something that shows on both sides like a towel. I hope your question was answered.

Bookmark   January 6, 2007 at 10:53AM
katy122

I'm noy talking about machine embroidery, I'm referring to just the regular embroidery thread, somebody was telling me to soak it in vinegar and water before using to prevent bleeding when laundering.?

Bookmark   January 6, 2007 at 10:59AM
stitcheasy2003

hi
I have never done that. I have never heard that.I have never seen it bleed. To get your mind off of it do yourself. Just do a sample yourself to see on a piece of fabric.

Bookmark   January 6, 2007 at 4:41PM
CandyD

Hello,
I just started doing redwork. I am working on a baby quilt for my daughter's baby due in March. The woman who taught me never mentioned bleeding of the thread and she made hand towels for Christmas presents. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, I read where people did not have a problem with the thread bleeding. But, I guess as suggested above, try it and see. I hope this helps a little bit.
Candy

Bookmark   January 12, 2007 at 6:44AM
More Discussions
Babylock Palette v9
Help! After a windows 8 update today, my card reader/writer...
kyserparker
Brother PE-SCAN Embroidery Scanner
Does anyone have a Brother PE-SCAN Embroidery Scanner...
redpenny
Viking embroidery machine software
I am interested in purchasing embroidery designing...
kiki31348
Hand Embroidery Tips & Techniques
I came across this site earlier today and wanted to...
lola8325 zone5KS
hand embroidery needle HELP!!!
Hi! I need to find a specific type of embroidery needle:...
elenatogn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™