lcd tv /blue ray question

andrelaplume2January 29, 2010

Dad just got a Sony 120mhz 47" tv from BB. He got blue ray dvd too. Neithe of us are very tech savy. For now he has his non hd cable box connected to it via coax. We are told the picture will be better when he upgrades his cable box. He also has the blue ray hooked up but has not watched a blue ray disc yet...just regular ones. We have noticed when disks play that you sometimes see a vertical line down the middle of the screen. It does not seam to bother Dad but it bothers me. He says maybe its because its not a blue ray disc or a tv setting is incorrect. I say phooey its a bad dvd player. Ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimisham

I'm using a Panasonic Blue Ray player with a Samsung LCD TV. I have an HDMI cable between the player and the TV.
I haven't watched a Blue Ray Disc with it either, but I've never seen what you describe with a DVD.
I'd try another player.

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 8:23AM
jdbillp

Picture should not a a line down the middle of the screen when watching anything. It sounds to me like a bad player.

Bookmark   January 30, 2010 at 11:28AM
weedmeister

Are you sure it's connected correctly?

Bookmark   February 6, 2010 at 2:15AM
joe_mn

does the set have multiple co-ax inputs? my new panasonic plasma does not. it would be nice to use a cable splitter and have a box input and straight cable input and switch between the 2 feeds. but you will get a hd cable box soon so why bother? i had a hd set 10 yrs ago and did not get a dvd unit for 1 year. duh. what was i waiting for? took me 2 more years for cable hd to show up.

Bookmark   February 7, 2010 at 10:36PM
jab913

Should not have a line no matter what kind of disc it is unless there is either a problem with the player or a bad disc. If it does it on all discs then it is a player problem.

Upgrading the cable to hd will definitely give a much better picture. It will not affect the blu ray though. For best pic both should be hooked up via HDMI cable.

Bookmark   February 14, 2010 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Throw them away ?
I have a DVD player, a cassette player , a tuner ,...
salbwil
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
vizio xvt473sv dead
I have a 4 year old VIZIO XVT473SV that now has NO...
thew60
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
OTA, I'm Back
I got rid of cable and now am using a converterbox...
boothbay
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™