best way to hoop and stabilize towels?

tami_ohioJanuary 4, 2005

I have been asked to put an initial on a few towels and was wondering what the best stabilizer is to use and the best way to hoop. Thanks.

Tami (PE-150)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deSha

Hi Tami, I have a Janome, but I would think the process would be the same. I have done quite a few towels and the way I do it is I hoop a medium to heavy tearaway stabilizer. I then spray some 505 adhesive on the stabilizer, then place the loose towel on top of the stabilizer in the position you want it. I usually try to pin the towel to the stabilizer around the edge of the hoop. Sometimes you can't do that and you just have to be carefull until you start the embroidery. I also put a piece of watersoluable stabilizer (lightweight) on top to keep the embroidery visable after it is done. I hope this helps.

Bookmark   January 5, 2005 at 1:55PM
Laura_IA

I use a heavy washaway (sulky ultra solvy I think it is) in the hoop, then spray with the 505 and place the towel on top. On the top of the towel, I use bridal tulle, lightly sprayed with the 505. I match the tulle to the color of the towel. The tulle holds the loops down, and it doesn't wash away. I've found that if I use a washaway on the top, eventually the loops find their way through the embroidery, especially if you're doing a monogram that uses a fairly wide satin stitch. Since I've been using the tulle, that hasn't happened.

Try a couple different ways, and see what you like best.

Bookmark   January 5, 2005 at 8:54PM
tami_ohio

Thanks, girls. Where can I get the 505 adhesive? I'm assuming that it is a temporary adhesive?

Tami

Bookmark   January 5, 2005 at 9:46PM
deSha

Tami, I get my 505 at the Sewing Machine store where I bought my machine. You might be able to get it or a similar product at you Joann's especially if they sell embroidery machines. Good luck.

Bookmark   January 7, 2005 at 4:36PM
tami_ohio

Thanks!

Bookmark   January 9, 2005 at 10:38AM
rubyjud

i HAVE USED THE PLASTIC FROM DRY CLEANERS ON THE TOP OF THE TOWE.....IT IS PRETTY EASY TO PULL OFF..IF THE DESIGN IS NOT TOO INTRICUTE.....COSTS NOTHING....JUST BE CAREFUL TO NOT USE A PART THAT HAS THE ADVERTISEMENT ON IT....JUST THE CLEAR PART....IT WORKS GREAT.....AND NEVER GOES AWAY SO YOUR STITCHES ARE ALWAYS ABOVE THE TOWELING....IF YOU GET WHAT I MEAN.....JUDY...IN LOUISIANA

Bookmark   January 9, 2005 at 10:00PM
jenni_ca

I have used Glad Press and Seal for towels and it works great. I have never had a problem at all. I like that it sticks to the towels and there is no need for the adhesive. It tears off very easily.
I use it as a topper almost exclusively.
Jenni

Bookmark   January 11, 2005 at 9:49AM
Oklahoma

Sorry Tami, I sent you a response from one of your other post and didnt see this one. I also see that someone here gave you the same advise i did...LOL

Bookmark   February 25, 2005 at 3:29AM
More Discussions
Singer Quantum XL-6000
Hello everyone, This is a rant on Singer Quantum XL-6000...
ruby1942
hand embroidery needle HELP!!!
Hi! I need to find a specific type of embroidery needle:...
elenatogn
PE Design Software
I lost my PE design2 when I changed computers.I am...
Jmyelou
Help with embroidery
I just recieved the Brothers SE400 sewing and embroidery...
JordonWalker0722
Husqvarna-Viking Designer 1 Software
Hi all, I have recently decided to try out the embroidery...
MaryPrim
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™