Gas cooktop with Downdraft

Like2cook2January 2, 2012

I NEED HELP! I have been from appliance shop to appliance shop and nobody seems to be able to advise me. I am having a new kitchen installed with a island and I wand a GAS cooktop, I like the slide in ones. And I really want to be able to cook with a WOK. The problem seems to be I need to have a downdraft too.I can't have a over range vent as we have bedrooms above. I am looking at the Viking range with the 1200CFM downdraft ( I was told by one sales person this is the only company that will warrantee this combination of appliances) which is quite pricey but I will go there...what i want to know is there any other choices?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

We have a Viking 36" rangetop with a matching Viking downdraft vent, installed in Feb 2003. No problems at all. BUt the vent does not work all that well, especially for heavy duty wok cooking. If you do a stir fry once a month, maybe burgers every few weeks, it'll be okay. But you won't be really stir-frying with 15K BTU burners. Wok burners are typically 30K. Just be prepared to repaint the kitchen more often. We have a high ceiling and an open floor plan and no issues whatsoever.

Just understand the limitations.

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 10:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

PS, the really belongs in the Appliances forum, where you'll get far more responses! Or maybe Kitchens.

Good luck!

Bookmark   January 2, 2012 at 10:39PM
More Discussions
transfer hi8 tapes from sony ccd-trv98 to mac ??
Hi ~ What is the best and fastest way to transfer Hi8...
kathybeachgirl
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
modem switch, ethernets, and extension cables
Hi, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction....
jally
POTS phone extension over local ethernet?
Through a mess up in communication I got a gigabit...
rwiegand
Philips/Magnavox Tv Problems ?
To get assistance on Philips/Magnavox TV: Post the...
pee_wee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™