Stink Bugs - They're Back!!!
I am preparing for another bad summer with the Stink Bugs. They never went away this winter, but at least there numbers went down. I thought now might be a good time to put our heads together about what worked and what didn't.
Here is what I tried last year.
1. Dishwashing Liquid/Water - Nope, just made cleaner stink bugs
2. Peppermint Oil - Didn't do a thing to deter them.
3. Lavender Bath Beads - Again didn't do thing.
4. Rubbing Alcohol - yes this kills them but you have to soak them in it.
5. Talstar - Oh this definitely kills them but takes a day or two. Also doesn't last, they'll be back.
6. Freezing them out. We tried this over the winter with no luck. House either didn't get cold enough it didn't bother them.
This year I am trying:
1. Dead Inn Stink Bug Trap. I set it out last week, but no a single bug in there. They are telling me it's too early because they are still in hibernation mode? Huh? They don't look like they are hibernating to me.. Crawling all over the place and I have found eggs already.
2. Trichogramma Wasps - This is one I read about on gardenweb. I order 15,000 of them and plan to release them tomorrow or the next day. Supposedly they keep the numbers down by destroying their eggs.
3. Pesticides; I'll keep spraying the house with Talstar until I find something better. Would like to find a fogger type bomb I could set off in the attack.
4. I also keep a bowl of rubbing alcohol, water & vegetable oil in the kitchen and throw any I catch in there. The oil seems to drown them quicker.
So, what did you try last year? What worked? What didn't?