Cat 5 Connector Questions

peterbogJanuary 24, 2008

Will a normal phone jack still plug into an RJ45? (Ie can I install all RJ45 jacks and have flexibility through a wiring closet to convert as needed from phone to data, vs. having separate dedicated data and dedicated phone outlets throughout the house?)

What do you use to convert CAT 5 wire to - RCA, BNG, etc that are typically found on video/audio equipment?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tmnjus

Yes, you can use all RJ45 jacks and your phone cord (RJ11) will work fine.

What are you trying to accomplish by converting CAT-5 to RCA or other? Audio/video equipment typically requires a coax type cable (vs twisted pair) unless you use baluns at each end .

Bookmark   January 25, 2008 at 5:20PM
peterbog

tmnjus: Thanks for the information on the RJ45. Re. what am I trying to do with the cat5:

When I wired the house I put in a coaxial cable and a cat5 wire to areas where I thought in the future I may want to install a security camera. As I now look at security cameras, they appear to come with "50 feet of cable provided." Well I don't want to use their cable as it would be impossible to pull it where I need it and I hopefully have the necessary wires in place.

So my question is whether if I cut their cable, can I get (make)whatever required connectors I need to connect it to the installed coax and cat5 wires? (I know I can get the video signal down the coax...will the cat5 carry the power and audio? Longest run is up to 100 feet from the wiring closet.)

Bookmark   January 28, 2008 at 8:39AM
heimert

Why not get ethernet based cameras? If you have the cat5 jacks in the right place, then you're all set.

Bookmark   January 28, 2008 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Where to buy cassettes for music
We still play cassettes in two of our old cars. I need...
loralee
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
plug-in 15w bulb caused sticky mess (wax melt)
Stupid me, I bought a plug-in wax melter / tart-warmer...
jally
I need "Pairing Code" information for my TV.
What is the pairing code for my Magnavox TV Model #...
Tammy Lanier
Headphone jack
Dug up a sub-mini plug for my home phone earphone jack....
stoveguyy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™