Replace diets with correct eating

puzzlefanFebruary 15, 2007

I lost forty pounds plus some thirty years ago and have never gained it back. Hubby on the other hand doesn't gain but just didn't have any incentive to lose. After watching the PBS special on THE HIDDEN Epidemic and finally realizing that his HDL was indeed a problem, he changed his mind. Using Lisa Youngs book The Portion Teller and a cookbook by Zonya Foca, he is finally losing weight and even I have dropped a few more pounds. It seems almost effortless. Just a matter of not fibbing on how much you eat. If your PBS station carries it, I highly recommend Zonya BItes or check her website at www.zonya.com. I love that cookbook but she has recipes there for anyone to sample.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ruthieg__tx

or go to weight watchers..that's what ww's is all about.

Bookmark   February 16, 2007 at 7:23PM
lunchlady1948

Ruthie is right that is what WW's is all about~~they do not call it a diet it is a Life Style change. And on WW's nothing is forbidden. You just need to watch your portion sizes.

Bookmark   February 18, 2007 at 1:12PM
awm03

Or use a nutrition tracker like DietPower or SparkPeople to keep track of your calories, nutrients, & exercise. Thanks for the tip about Zonya Bites. I'd not heard of it before. The white beans & penne dish on her web site looks like a great Lenten meal. Hmmm, in fact, I'll try it tonight!

BTW, I'm happy to call my daily eating habits a diet. My diet consists of healthy foods in reasonable portions. In the long run, semantics mean nothing; action is everything.

Bookmark   February 23, 2007 at 12:26PM
acorn

I lost 14 lb a couple months ago, I have maintained the loss the same way I lost it by making better food choices such as veggie sticks with my lunch rather than chips and I found sticks keep you full longer and help in the bathroom dept. lol I like my sandwiches opened face or make my own lunchables. Portions are under control. My so and I go out to eat we order one entree and an extra soup or salad, I just tip like I ordered two meals It has been so easy. I still lurk and like both ww and ss sites, you all give each other such kind support. Joann

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 6:48PM
ruthieg__tx

truthfully.......Most plans are just that anymore..they are not diets but assistance in making the right choices...and truthfully, I think lots of people need the help...but also the motivation of a plan...Nearly all the plans I have studied are about eating right, and making the right choices.

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 9:50AM
msbehavin

I have been looking for the little electronic WW Calculator. I have found them on Ebay at three times the price from WW meeting. The problem is they are out and for some reason it is going to take them 3 mo. to get them in again. Any suggestions. I talked to a lady at one of the meetings and she uses hers all the time. It is about 3 inches square.

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 9:42AM
msbehavin

I have been looking for the little electronic WW Calculator. I have found them on Ebay at three times the price from WW meeting. The problem is they are out and for some reason it is going to take them 3 mo. to get them in again. Any suggestions. I talked to a lady at one of the meetings and she uses hers all the time. It is about 3 inches square.

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 9:46AM
ruthieg__tx

Ages ago they had an online copy at Dotties and I am sure I still have a copy.

Bookmark   March 11, 2007 at 5:34PM
onyxdaily

I definitely agree with lifestyle changes, but I have to admit I agree with diets, too. 2 years ago I started an 800 calorie a day diet and lost 87# in 7-8 months. I then transitioned off the diet to regular food, but continued my small portions and still to this day I eat 5 small meals daily. To date I have lost 103#. So I have to say that a diet got me started, but that a permanent life style change and exercise have helped me maintain.

Bookmark   March 20, 2007 at 12:36PM
ruthieg__tx

Congrats onyxdaily....that's a lot of hard work...what was an average 800 calorie day made up of in the way of food...that sounds so restricted that it makes me wonder what you ate?

Bookmark   March 24, 2007 at 11:28AM
onyxdaily

I started the diet doing a program called medifast. I would drink a shake at 6am, oatmeal at 9am, soup or tuna salad at noon, protein bar at 3pm, then 4-5 ounces of lean meat plus a vegetable serving at 6pm, then another shake at 9pm (or bedtime). All the meals except the 6pm dinner were meals I purchased from medifast, but when I transitioned off their program, I knew I wanted to lose more weight, so I pretty much eat the same things now, just with products I buy at the store. I replaced the shakes with either 8oz skim milk or 8oz lite soy milk. I replaced the oatmeal with yogurt or kashi cereal. For lunch I usually eat packaged tuna, canned chicken or lite cottage cheese, plus veggies, for the protein bar I eat different low carb low fat store bought bars. I still eat lean meat and veggies for supper. I know it may not sound like alot of food, but really I felt and still feel like I'm always eating. It's just a plan that really works for me because I pretty much never get hungry so I have much less tendancy to snack on something that I shouldn't have.

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 12:22PM
ruthieg__tx

That sounds like a good plan to me...and I have learned that you have to figure out what is best for yourself for it to work....

Bookmark   March 29, 2007 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
Need a diet buddy
Okay, I'm starting over again on my diet this year,...
Wheezie123
WANTED -Weight loss buddy
Hello i am looking for a weight loss buddy. Just someone...
jennybog
Weekly Support Oct 6 - 12
Good morning Everyone! Welcome to another week of "let's...
mcpeg
Best for a quick weight loss?
I know all the rules(more or less) but if I wanted...
mzmint
6 Week Body Makeover Program??
Just wondering....has anyone ever used Michael Thurmond's...
janet_ks
Sponsored Products
MaxLite BayMAX LED High Bay Pendant, 132 Watts Charcoal or White
EnvironmentalLights.com
8 Inch Wide Round Bulkhead -Black
$33.00 | Bellacor
Whale Tail Doorbell Ringer - Polished Brass
Signature Hardware
Candelabra Base Bulb, 2 Natural White LEDs
Super Bright LEDs
Tech Lighting | Nebbia Pendant
$618.40 | YLighting
43W 120V A19 E26 White Halogen Bulb (2PK) by SATCO Lighting
$4.99 | Lumens
GlideRite 3-inch CC Oil Rubbed Bronze Birdcage Cabinet Pulls (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
Glass Thermos Water Carafe with Cup
Classic Hostess
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™