Intercom using existing phones?

superkJanuary 10, 2007

We just had a low voltage contractor go through our house and recommend an intercom system which uses our existing phones as intercoms. We've never heard of such a system. Does anyone out there have any experience with or knowledge of such a system? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom418

It is possible to use a regular phone as an intercom, but possibly only after modification (in order to signbal the other stations' ringers).

Many years ago, I had a neighbor modify a pair of Western Electric 302s that I bought from Lafayette Radio. He modified each phone so that the other phone's bell would ring when one dialed "0" on a phone. I also needed a 67 (or so) volt battery connected between the phones to power the bells.

Bookmark   January 10, 2007 at 3:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

I just bought Philips 1.9Ghz cordless phones. 3 handsets worth. They have the intercom feature. Amazon, get three with answering machine base for under hundred bucks.

Push conference & then 1,2,or 3 and it rings just that phone. Think GE's 1.9ghz does it too so maybe its a feature of the newer DECT 1.9ghz phones.

Bookmark   January 11, 2007 at 12:30AM
More Discussions
cheap tv
got a nice working fully functional 32" lcd yesterday...
stoveguyy
plug-in tart warmers - parchment-paper safe?
Hi, re: plug-in wax-tart warmers: Is it safe to cover...
jally
arc breakers tripping
We have arc fault breakers and one of them keeps tripping,...
newhomeseattle
Sound Goes Off Occasionally on TV
I have a Sharp ACQUOS TV. A few days ago, I started...
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
Where to buy cassettes for music
We still play cassettes in two of our old cars. I need...
loralee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™